Chapter 9

Isabella

Edward bursts into our chamber with a large grin on his face, "Close your eyes."

"Why?"

"It's a surprise."

"If you want me to walk somewhere I need my eyes open."

"Just trust me; I will be your guide."

"Fine, but you cannot let me fall or run into any walls."

"Understood. Now may I have your hand?"

I plop my hand into his outstretched one, "Yes."

"Eyes?"

"They're closed!"

"Good."

I follow him a few short steps forwards, uneasiness filling my gut. "Can you at least tell me what room we are going to?"

"The throne room."

"Thank you."

He guides me through the halls, stopping every so often for doors to be opened. "You may open your eyes now."

I open my eyes, blinking away the brightness of the sun.

"Hello, little cousin."

I spin around, a large smile on my face. "John! What are you doing here?"

He takes my hands, "Can your favorite cousin not come to visit his dearest friend and newly crowned cousin?"

"I never said that you were my favorite."

"I think we both know that it goes without words that I'm your favorite."

"You have no ulterior motive for coming?"

He presses a hand to his chest, "I am wounded by your accusations."

"John."

"I have no ulterior motive, Issy."

"Now I know you're up to something. You never call me Issy unless you have a motive or you're trying to bait me into doing something. What is going on?"

"Nothing my dearest cousin; your husband asked me to come and surprise you, so I did."

I turn to face my husband, "Edward, why did you send for him?"

"You seemed off, and I know, from stories each of you have told, that you two seem to be the best medicine for each other, I thought that it would help."

"Thank you for your concern, but you really shouldn't have had him come all this way. It's not safe."

John waltzes back into my line of vision, "As if that could stop me, cousin. But, I have some horrible news; Aunt Mildred was at Deotein and heard that I was going to the palace and is arriving today. She'll be here within the hour."

My joy disappears. "Ah, shit; this is going to be just... wonderful. I shall prepare myself for endless hours of torment"

Edward speaks up, "I'm sorry, I'm quite confused here; what is the problem with Aunt Mildred?"

"She's quite a spectacle; fancies herself the most knowledgeable and proper woman in the family, in everything. Every time she visits or is at an event with another family member it's hours of: Why aren't you married yet, or at least married to a proper man? Why haven't you given birth yet Susan, you've been married for two years? Bridget, darling, stop eating pies, you're going to be unappealing if you grow fat. Isabella, why aren't you married yet; you need to stop stalling, or else your womb will grow cold as your mothers did. Thomas, stop wearing furs it's the middle of March, you are unbecoming to the women of the courts."