Chapter 26

Isabella

"Ma'am" a servant bows,  "A package has arrived for you; it's from your father."

"My father?"

"Yes."

"Give it here."

The girl motions for the page waiting outside the room to enter. He carries a locked wooden chest, with the Parr seal pressed into the lock. I motion for him to set it on the table. He does so quickly, and takes a letter out of his pack, sets it attop the chest, before bowing and hastily leaving the room, the girl following him out of the room. I quickly pick up the letter and break the seal, taking in all of my father's words.

16th Awn 1606
My darling Victoria,
    I was so pleased to finally receive a letter from you. I know that it must be hard for you to send letters and tell me how you fare during this most difficult time. We, at Caralein, are most grateful that we have not been attacked yet; but we fear that it may come as the war rages on. Your uncle, cousin, and their remaining household arrived a few days ago. God must have been looking over them for they were never attacked. I do pray that you, your husband and the rest of your household remain as safe as can be. Word of the attack on the palace has spread throughout the land. Nothing has been said about the welfare of anyone who lives inside the palace. We pray daily that you and your husband were not injured.
    I beg of you to visit your doctor as often as you can. I worry even more so about you now than I did when this wretched war began. I sent the journals that you wished me to send. I must say, looking through your mother's chests brought some peace and light to Caralein for a couple of days. Stay safe, keep your faith, look to the stars and everything will turn out as intended.
    All of my love,
        Your father,
            Lord William Parr

I pick up the small skeleton key that fell to my lap and place it into the lock of the small chest. I lift the lid of the chest, revealing it to be stacked to the brim with leather bound notebooks. I take the top one out of the chest and open it.

18th Masso 1589
The doctor says that I am not even halfway through my pregnancy yet I feel as if I could burst...
<><><>

I knock on the door before entering Edward's study. "Good afternoon Edward."

"Hello, my love."

"I did not see you at lunch."

"I'm sorry, I had a meeting."

"Did you eat?"

"Yes, my dear. I have been following all of Hale's instructions."

"Good."

"Did you come here just to check on me?"

"No," a moment of silence fills the room as I debate what to say next. "Edward, I've been thinking."

"What is troubling you?"

"With everything that has happened and with how little we know, I fear that this war may last long enough for our child to be born; but childbirth is a dangerous business and well half of the world wants us both dead. I fear that we will not be able to raise this child. I want to make sure that if the worst happens that we will be able to have a trusted person or family to raise our child for us until they are old enough to rule. I don't want them to just be raised by governesses and tutors."

"What are you trying to say?"

"We need a plan. I hate having to do this but we don't know what's going to happen and I want to ask someone if on the event that our child is born and we both die that they will take care of them and raise them as they would one of their own."