Chapter 8

Isabella

14th Masso 1606

Dearest friend, Isabella,

I cannot help but to write again and apologize for the incident that happened last week. I cannot help but think that it was my fault due to the man's ethnicity. Do let me know if there is anything I can do for you. How was your journey home? I do pray nothing overly eventful happened. My family all sends their best regards (I do think that my mother has taken quite the liking to you). I wish you and Edward the very best and I pray that the next time we see each other it will be under far better circumstances.

Your friend,

Lucia

A soft knock on the frame of the door is followed by a timid voice, "Pardon the interruption, Your Majesty; Dame Brant has a message for you; she said that it is time for your first lesson."

"Do I need to bring anything?"

"No, be in the training room in half an hour."

"Very well, thank you. You may leave."

I turn back to the documents I had been reading, stack them up and lock them away in a desk drawer. I slip off the rings on my fore and middle fingers, setting them in the wooden bowl. I leave my chambers and turn to walk down the stairs to the training room.

Lord Sedley changes his gait to match my speed, "Your Majesty, may I have a word with you?"

"It depends on what needs to be done, my Lord."

"I need your insight on a coronation gift for Reina Lucia de Leon; I assumed you were a good friend."

"Of course, what are your ideas?"

"The usual; jewels, animals-"

"Stop; none of those will work."

"Pardon me, Majesty?"

"Regina Lucia de Leon is no ordinary ruler; jewels and animals mean nothing for she has many."

"What do you suggest?"

"Weapons of some sort; she particularly likes crossbows. Now if you will excuse me; I need to be somewhere."

"Of course ma'am. Thank you for your advice."

<><><>

I walk into the training room and see Keris staring at me, an emotionless mask resting on her face. I walk across the room to her; her arms are crossed over her chest and the weapons rack behind her adds to her ferocity. "You're late."

"Yes, I know; I was pulled away by the foreign secretary and I couldn't get out of it."

"Very well, do not be late again. Your title is no excuse."

"Of course."

I smooth my skirts as I wait for her to speak. A full minute passes before her voice rings out through the training room, commanding respect without raising it above a normal level. "How did you kill that man in Safire?"

"I cut the back of his neck."

"Good, your instincts were correct but what you succeeded in doing is not easy to execute."

"What are you saying?"

"You need to learn how to properly kill a man."

"I'm sorry murder people?"

"No, I want you to be able to kill someone if they try to kill you." her face is fierce but a sadness lies beneath it.

"I wasn't raised to be strong that way, I wasn't even raised to be anything more than a duchess."