Chapter 11

Isabella

I stare out at the sea, gusts of wind pulling strands of my hair free from its bun, as advisors and ministers wish Edward a safe journey. The waves tumble over each other, growing larger as they consume the white-capped water. Even though the prominent smell of the sea fills the air, the scent of paper and pine fills my nose as a hand grabs my hip, spinning me around to face my husband. "Ignoring all the excitement?"

"I do not think that it is very exciting."

"You are not mad, are you love?"

"I am not mad; I just have no wish to see you go."

"I will not be gone long."

"The journey there and back is a week each way."

"And I am only staying there for a few days."

"You will still be gone for weeks."

"I promise to write."

"You cannot send letters from a boat."

"That may be true but I will still write to you; every day if you wish it."

"What could you possibly write about if you wrote to me daily?"

"The things I see, the smell of the sea, the going ons of Varis, how happy I am to have married you, how much I know that you are capable of running our kingdom in my absence."

"You seem to have an awful lot of faith in my abilities."

"Faith that is deserved; and I also happen to know that the entire court and council fears an angry monarch... and you, mere dila, are downright terrifying even when you're not angry."

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?"

"Of the highest regard."

He presses his forehead to mine, before placing a quick kiss on each of my hands. "I do believe that I must leave now. I do not think that the captain will be pleased if we leave late."

"Yes, you're quite right. I pray you will have a safe journey and all will go as we wish it will."

"I don't even get the word goodbye strung together with my name?"

"Goodbye Edward."

He starts moving away from me, keeping his grip on my hand, outstretching our arms, "Goodbye mere dila."

He releases my hand, turns around, and walks up the plank onto the ship. I watch as the captain shakes his hand and begins to bark out orders to the crew. The plank is pulled up onto the ship, oar-men begin to row, sails are let loose and the ship pulls away from the docks; moving out to sea, getting smaller and smaller as the minutes pass.

<><><>

The guards outside of the hospital wing open the doors as I walk towards them and close the doors behind me as I walk into the wing. My eyes scan the room, looking for the fair-haired Elizabeth Archer. In the far corner, a fair-haired woman stands, bent over a table, her hair tied into a bun at the nape of her neck. I take a deep breath, steadying my nerves; chin high, steel eyes, firm hands, unbreakable spine, I rest my arms at my sides and walk over to the woman. "Elizabeth Archer, correct?"

The woman turns around and smiles, "Yes, Queen Isabella. Can I safely assume that you have not been in another knife fight?"

"I have not."

"Why have you come to me then, Your Majesty?"

"I have been feeling unwell."

"How so?"

"Nausea, vomiting, headaches, I haven't been sleeping well; I really don't know, I just haven't been feeling my best."

"Have you been quite stressed?"

"A little; but I know what is going on, I am on the Council and Edward tells me everything."

"When did this start?"

"A couple of weeks ago."

"I see; have you and your husband consummated."

"As every married couple must in order to finalize their vows."

"I see... When was your last cycle ma'am?"

"Right before the wedding."

"And you say that you've been sick quite a bit?"

"Constantly."

"Well, ma'am I hate to be the one to tell you this, but, you best get used to it since you'll have to deal with it for the next twelve weeks."

"You don't mean?"

"I do. Congratulations."

"That's not the word I would use, but thank you."

"I know, we're in a dangerous business now, one that often doesn't have happy results, but I promise you that we are all looking out for you. You have two of the best doctors in the world on your side. But, I must warn you; I suggest telling as few people as possible, and never tell anyone through the mail; there will be more attempts on your life if Aral finds out about this."

"Yes, thank you for your help Elizabeth."

"Of course, I will mix up some tonics for you and send them up to your rooms. I shall also like to see you weekly. I recommend continuing to go outside and for walks but do not overexert yourself."

"Anything else?"

"Not at the moment. Do you have questions?"

"Not yet; but if I do, I know where to find you."

"Very well, ma'am."

She curtsies and I gather my skirts into my hands and rush to Edward's study.

<><><>

When I arrive at his study, two guards open the doors and close them behind me. The smells of ink, paper, and wood fill my nose and wash my worries from my mind. I move towards his desk and sit in the chair behind it. My eyes scan the top of the desk looking for loose paper and a quill. When I find a sheet of paper, I set it on the desk in front of me, dip the quill into the inkwell, press the nib of the pen to the paper, and begin to write.

29th Masso 1606

Dearest Husband,

I do hope that your journey to Alther was pleasant and safe. Please give Pippa, Alexander, and their children my best. I do hope that we will be able to see them again under much better circumstances. I beg of you, please return home as soon as possible; I fear that the longer you are away the more likely Aral is to attack us. Before you even start, I do have the guards posted everywhere you posted them. But I must tell you, the extra guards do not help me feel safe. Oh, how I cannot wait for this war to be over and to feel safe again. Though, I must admit much of my worrying is for my husband in another country.

I have much news to share with you on your return that I dare not write for fear of this letter falling into the wrong hands. Much doubt fills my mind and causes me to believe that I am unable to complete the sovereignly duties that you have entrusted to me. I am not trained or very knowledgeable in the subjects I must know in order to rule. I am ever grateful for Duke Fitzwarren's presence on the council; his constant guidance and never-wavering loyalty are gifts from high heaven itself. I do not think I will ever understand how there are good-hearted people in the court; everyone wishes to have the favor of the queen or anyone on the council and will stop at nothing to try and receive it. I suppose it is all natural; for many people wish to have power because they believe that power is everything and how you will win the game of life.

All my love,

Isabella

A/N: I will be posting chapter 12 as well. Thank you for reading! - M