Chapter 19

Isabella

I take the pile of clothing from Orsette. "Thank you Orsette, from the bottom of my heart."

"It's nothing ma'am, I am glad to help."

I set the pile of clothing on the table of the room. "Oh, ma'am I nearly forgot. Your guard, the female one, asked me to pick up this package for you from the blacksmith. It's folded in the pile of clothing."

"Thank you, again, Orsette."

"You're welcome, Majesty. I must be going."

"Of course, I will see you later."

"Very well Majesty."

She curtsies as she leaves the room. I walk over to the pile of clothing and look through it, finding the brown paper-wrapped package. I quickly pull off the paper, revealing a simple sheet and chainmail fan. I open and close it a few times before sliding it into one of the pockets in my dress. I pick up the pile of clothing and carry it through the main chamber and into the closet. I begin to look for a basket as I set the pile of clothing on the vanity. I find a large enough basket and walk across the room setting it on the chair in front of the vanity. I take a large, dark cloth and line the basket with it before beginning to refold the clothing, and set them in the basket. When I am finished I take the excess cloth and fold it over the clothing. I look through the shelves and racks for a cloak. As I place it over my shoulders and clasp it, I pick up the basket and walk back into the main chamber, to my desk. I open the middle drawer, lifting a stack of unused paper while grabbing a sheathed dagger, tucking it into my pocket.

"What are you doing Isabella?"

My hand flies to the handle of the dagger before I recognize the voice. "My God, Edward, do not just appear like that."

"I am sorry, my dear. I came to see you only to find that you are leaving, where are you going?"

"I am going to one of the orphanages so that I may do my charity work."

"During a war when people are hungry and angry?"

"Yes. Just because times are hard doesn't mean that we should forget the people."

"Isabella, it's a death sentence."

"It is not a death sentence. I have my guards and Brant has been teaching me. I must go."

"Isabella-"

"Yes?"

"Stay safe and please listen to your guard."

"I will try."

<><><>

As I step out of the carriage and into the street, my guards from a loose circle around me and we begin to walk down the street towards the orphanage. A crowd swarms around me, the six members of my guard tighten their formation, creating a close ring, shields locked into a wall. Voices begin to worm their way through the armored wall around me. "Look at her, she's the reason we're at war."

More people join the crowd and shout, "Why does she get unlimited food while we're starving."

I cross my arms over my stomach as the voices turn to shouts. "It's the bloody queen!"

"The reason why we're all in this mess!"

"CURSE YOU!"

"THAT WOMAN IS THE REASON WE DON'T HAVE FOOD TO EAT!"

"My children are in danger!"

"Heathen!"

"Where's my personal guard!?"