Chapter 22

Isabella

I pray that you are keeping safe and not making any reckless moves. I fear for your safety in these times. If it is not too much trouble for you, would you be able to send me mama's diary from her pregnancy? I would love to know more about-

I look up from the letter I am writing as a page bursts into my chambers. He tries to speak in between gasps. "In... palace... quickly."

"Breathe and then speak."

He nods and takes a few deep breaths, "Intruders in the palace! You must come quickly!"

"What? From where? How many?"

"I don't know, I was told to warn you and-"

I stand up and begin rifling through my desk for extra daggers. I find the sword breaker in its sheath and hike up my skirts. The boy stares at his feet. I quickly strap the sword breaker to my calf and drop my skirt. I stuff a few daggers into my pockets alongside the fan. "Majesty we do not have time."

"There is always time."

I reach under the desk and grab the long dagger that is strapped to the bottom. I nod to the boy and he starts running out of the room. I gather my skirts into my arms alongside the dagger and follow him down the hall. "Where are we going?"

"To His Majesty."

"But isn't that unwise and dangerous?"

"Slightly, Majesty, but it is what His Majesty asked me to do."

"Very well."

I continue to follow the boy through the bright corridors and servant passages. Shadows dance across the walls in the passages while the sunlight warms the halls. We stop in front of an old-looking, beaten wooden door. The boy raps on the door three times, six times, and then four times. The faint scraping and clicking of the door being unlocked fill my ears. The door is slowly pulled open, revealing a set of four guards, all holding weapons pointed at our hearts. "Who is it, Robert?"

"Her Most Royal Majesty, the Queen, and a page."

"Put the weapons down and let her in."

"Majesty is that wise?"

"Are you questioning my orders, Robert? If I am to die today I would very much like to see my wife before that happens,"

"Of course Your Majesty."

The four guards move to the sides, allowing me to enter the room but stop the page from entering. They shut the door as I drop the long dagger and rush towards Edward. He envelops me in his arms, my face buried in his chest, the scent of pine and parchment filling my nostrils. "Are you going to let me go?"

"Not just yet, mere dila, if this is my last day on earth I would like to hold my wife."

"Shouldn't we be trying to get rid of the enemy?"

"Shhhh, give me two minutes."

"Only two."

He presses his lips into my hair, holding me tightly to his chest. We stand this way for a few minutes. "Your Majesties we must be going."

With a sigh he releases me. "Very well. Isabella, we must cut away some of your skirts, it will only slow you down."

"We are unable to do that Edward, my dress is filled with weapons, and I would rather not lose them."

"Sedley was right, I may not have gained any political advantages with our marriage but I gained the best woman in the country."

"You flatter me."