Chapter 15

Edward

"London, I have been looking for you."

He bows, "How may I be of assistance, Majesty?"

"You are the head of the royal guard and palace security, there has been a development since we last spoke of the palace security."

"A development; of what sorts?"

"I cannot say for risk of exposure. I can merely state that I wish for the palace to have more security and if we cannot cover the entire palace the hall and the outside walls of my chambers, my study, and my wife's favorite drawing room will suffice."

"I will issue out the new orders by the end of the day."

"Thank you."

<><><>

Isabella rises from the settee as I enter our chambers. "Edward, Anna is leaving my household by the end of the week."

"I see, where is she going?"

"I am sending her back to Caralein, and I will need someone to replace her."

"Your ladies are arriving today."

Slight surprise fills her voice, "They still wish to serve me?"

"Why wouldn't they?"

"I am a queen that nearly half of the known world wants dead."

"Not nearly half of the known world; only three countries and one province."

"It is still a great threat."

"Yes, I know; but, the fact that these women still wish to serve you. Isabella, they believe you are the true queen and are not openly fearful of those who do not approve."

"Yes. Well, I suppose we should go to the throne room so that we are not late."

<><><>

The door to the throne room opens and three women step through the door, walking down the stairs towards the thrones. The room is silent except for the sound of three pairs of heels clicking against the floor. They curtsy, waiting for one of us to raise them to their feet. "Welcome to Ordet."

The three women stand, smoothing their skirts, and placing pleasant smiles on their faces. "Thank you, Your Majesties, it is an honor to be here."

"Thank you; I am glad that I can finally meet all of you."

"As are we Majesty, I believe that we are all honored to serve in your household."

"Thank you. Which of you is Lady Jane Chyene?"

The pale woman with golden curls, pulled over her shoulder, steps forward. "And Lady Catherine Darcy?"

A woman dressed in blue, with a thin face and her dark brunette hair, pulled into a knot at the base of her neck steps forward to stand next to Lady Jane. She looks to the third woman, dressed in a cream and gold gown, her red hair hanging loosely down her back, "That makes you Lady Rebecca Abell?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"It is a pleasure to meet you. Please, join me for tea in the parlor."

"Thank you, Madam."

Isabella kisses my cheek and curtsies, her ladies curtseying and following her out of the throne room like a flock of birds.

Isabella

"These paintings are beautiful ma'am."

"Thank you, Jane, I believe we have a Vaughan somewhere in this gallery."