Chapter 25

Edward

I stare at the wall, ignoring my dinner. In a brief flash of anger, I grab the knife off of the desk and fling it at the wall. The blade buries itself into the wallpaper as the herald speaks, "Lady Rebecca Abell."

"Send her in."

"Your Majesty, I apologize if my presence is unwanted but I am concerned about your wife."

"Your presence is not unwelcome, please sit. What are you concerned about?"

"Oh God, I hate going behind her back like this; I was going back to her chambers because I had forgotten some of my embroidery things there earlier in the day. She was on the floor, shaking like a leaf in the brutal winter wind, oh God she was crying and could barely speak, her breathing was not at all correct. She was a mess, luckily I knew what to do, because the same thing happened to a cousin of mine when she was pregnant the first time. After I was able to calm her down, I asked if it had happened before; she just shrugged it off saying that she was just stressed. I don't believe her, these episodes are dangerous. I told her to go to a doctor but she insisted that she's fine. I didn't know what else to do but come to you because I don't want my friend to die and I'm sure as hell not going to let my king lose his wife and heir because his wife is so goddamn stubborn! I'm sorry, that was out of line."

"No, no it's alright. Thank you. Please let me know if anything else comes up."

"Of course, Your Majesty."

"You may leave."

<><><>

I enter our room and sit on the settee, watching her stare out the window. "Isabella, may I speak with you?"

She moves from the window, sitting next to me on the sette, her hands resting on her abdomen. "What is this matter of great importance you wish to speak of?"

"Isabella, how long have these episodes been going on?"

"I'm not sure-"

"Stop. Do not lie to me."

"I was not going to."

"Then why lie to Lady Rebecca?"

"Everyone can be bought."

"She came to me, because she was worried about her friend."

"What is the use in not pretending to be strong right now?"

"Letting yourself be helped and protecting our child. So tell me; how long, how many, why have you not told someone, and what is causing them?"

"They've been happening for a few weeks, about once a week. I do not know the cause of them.I could not tell you because I refuse to burden you with anything else, your plate cannot hold anything else."

"Mere dila, there is always room for any burden you may bear. What happens right before?"

"Everything just crashes upon me; like a ship in a storm. It's always there brewing under the surface, I hear everything that happens and act upon it, but I do not hear it until all at one moment."

"My darling, will you let me take you to see Archer?"

"Yes, if it will make you happy."

I kiss her hand, "Have you eaten?"

"A few hours ago. Did you? You look thin."

"Not yet, I was working on paperwork. I'll eat later."

"Absolutely not. You are eating before we go see Archer. You are supposed to be taking care of yourself, not continuing to work yourself to death!"

"I am not working myself to my death, my love, I have been doing nearly everything Archer and Hale have told me to do."

"Nearly?"

"The country does not wait for my health."

"Nonsense, it most certainly will."

She stands and crosses the room before pulling the rope next to the dumbwaiter.

<><><>

"Where is Archer?" I ask the apprentice.

He bows his head, "I believe she is with one of the dying guards. She should be out shortly."

I nod and the apprentice runs off into a room, trying not to drop any of the bandages. I reach for Isabella's hand only to find her fingers woven in the fabric of her skirts. "I specifically said no visitors today, I am trying to-" Archer curtsies quickly, "Majesties, I did not know you were coming; your appointment is tomorrow."

"We wished to discuss something else, privately."

Archer turns to her apprentice, "James you may leave for the day."

The young boy runs off, closing the door behind him. "Majesties, how can I help you?"

"My wife, she, well, how would you put it, Isabella?"

"Attack of the mind. I am unable to breathe and I feel as if I am drowning."

"I think Majesty, you are indeed suffering from these mind attacks. Might I inquire as to what causes these attacks of the mind to happen?"

"Pardon?"

"What thoughts, worries, or fears are so strong that they overwhelm you?"

"I am afraid... that everyone I love is to die."

"Majesty, your husband chose you over politics, his crown is politics, he chose you over his entire country. He's not going anywhere, and he knows that I have permission from Alexandrina to shoot him in the knee if he tries. He's still alive and he is not going anywhere. Your father, uncle and cousin are still alive. So is your baby. If your family is anything like you I know that they are fighters; and fighters do not go down easily, especially when they have something to live for. You are not going anywhere because you have so much to live for and you do not let anyone tell you what you must do; you have avoided death time and time again and you will do it again and again until this war is over."

"Is there anything that we can do?"

"I suggest creating a worry journal, simply write down all of your worries as they come, and then interrupt them and focus on something else. If there is a way to fix your worries, figure out how, not everything is black or white. And Madam, please talk to someone about them."

"And if I cannot speak of them?"

"Majesty, I must beg of you to try. Come to me if you must"

"Is it fatal?"

"Not on it's own ma'am, but I must encourage you to accept help from those to offer it. Now, I suggest going to bed early, and getting a good night's sleep. For as long as you are able to, in your condition, I suggest going on a stroll every morning."

"Very good. Thank you, Elizabeth."

"Do you need anything else Majesties?"

"No, I do not believe so."

"I bid you a goodnight, I must make the rounds."

A/N: I have no idea what to say.

Today's a double update day because why not

Thank you for reading!