Chapter 18

Isabella

I look at the basket that sits on the coffee table in my antechamber, filled to the brim with shirts to be made for the soldiers. I need to do something. I pace back and forth, wearing a trail on the carpet. Through my thinking I do not hear the door begging pushed open.

"Your Majesty."

I jump, pressing a hand to my stomach. "Oh Majesty, I apologize for startling you; but my husband asked if I could deliver a message to you."

"Of course. Who are you?"

"Duchess Margaret Fitzwarren."

"Ah yes, the Duke has spoken highly of you. What did he wish to tell me?"

"Word just arrived from Aral. The Crown Princess Okami Akane has been married."

"To whom?"

"Kōshaku Konishi Ranmaru."

"Where is my husband?"

"Locked in his study, Your Majesty."

"Thank you Duchess. If you will excuse me I need to be somewhere."

I bush past her, pushing open the door to my chamber, running down the hall in the most dignified way I can. I turn the doorknob only to find it locked. "Edward, please unlock the door. I am not flanked by the entire council."

The click of the door being unlocked and footsteps receding from the door follow within seconds. I wait a few seconds before pushing the door open and walking inside, shutting the door behind me. When I turn back around the full force of the room hits me; papers strewn across the floor and in messy piles on every piece of furniture. Swords and fighting knives are scattered about the rooms, tucked away in corners and attop bookshelves. His crown sits discarded attop a stack of boxes. He sits, lounging on the only uncovered chair,  "Edward what happened? I was just in here the other day, I could've sworn it looks much neater than this."

He runs his hand up the side of his face and through his hair, "'m sorry, love."

"Are you even sleeping? You have never looked worse. What is causing this; because I am certain it is not just the fact that we are in the middle of a war?"

"Oh I don't know; maybe it's the fact that I was only happily married for one bloody month before Okami Minamoto declared war on us, maybe it's the fact that Charles Vasquez tried to kill you a few weeks ago, maybe it's because Aral is so goddamn smart. They planned this so bloody perfectly; it's so hard to have an heir that lives though its first year and they have added the number of odds against us. They don't want you to give birth to that child; because the second you do they've failed." he laughs in hollow disbelief, "This is perfect," he throws up his hands in defeat, "Just perfect; while I go mad constantly training and planning, barey sleeping to keep my country and family alive they are laughing and plotting and growing stronger by marrying warlords. I should have seen this coming and now I can't do a single thing that I haven't already done or planned out to protect the two people that mean more to me than my own life!"

I reach for his hand, grasping it in my own, "Edward, you've already done so much, but you cannot protect anyone if you work yourself to your own death. I love you for everything you have given to this country and to me, I love you for the strength you carry, but do not carry so much that you cannot stand upright, give some of that weight to others who will help you. Give it to me. Firstly, we are going to clean up this study, I cannot even imagine how you work like this. After we have finished, you are going to sleep. There will be no arguments otherwise I will send you to Doctor Hale and he will order you to do much more than eat and sleep properly. We will talk more about your plans after you wake."