Chapter 12

Isabella Victoria

The doors of the throne room open, "Duke Gabriel Litchforth."

Chin high, steel eyes. Firm hands, unbreakable spine. I straighten my spine and look dead ahead. The Duke quickly walks across the throne room, the heels of his shoes clicking against the tile. He bows quickly and laughs softly. "So this is the girl my nephew chose to marry? Well, I see no power in her blood, she is naught but a child."

I cannot keep the sharp bitterness from my voice, "Welcome to my home, Duke, although I suppose you are my uncle now. I do believe that the proper custom of Asura is to not speak rudely to your Queen unless she asks for your opinion. Why have you come?"

"Such a sharp tongue for a child queen."

"Perhaps I may seem a child to you, due to my height, but I do believe that no one is considered a child after they are married."

"Let us say that you are correct, but you are a girl-"

"Your point, Duke?"

"You sit on that throne, wearing a crown, and pretending to be a queen."

"That is not your point uncle, make it quickly, I have duties to attend to."

"Very well. What can a girl like you; a girl with no powerful blood, no strength, and no experience, possibly do for her country?"

"You would be surprised. You have our permission to withdraw."

A mocking grin splits his face, "As you wish. Your Majesty." He bows elaborately and saunters out the door.

<><><>

"I will see what I can do, thank you for coming with your concerns."

"Thank you, Majesty." The woman bows and exits the throne room. I take my pocket watch out of the hidden pocket in my dress and check the time. "Mr. Thomas Danburry of Verkai, Asura."

I quickly hide the pocket watch in my dress and look across the throne room. A thin, well-dressed man walks down the stairs and swiftly crosses the floor. He stops five feet away from where I stand, bowing deeply as looks me dead in the eye when he rises. "Good morning Your Majesty."

"Good morning to you, Mr. Danburry. Why have you come?"

"Can a simple man not travel to see his new queen?"

"If you wished to waste my time perhaps you should've come to a ball or my coronation."

"I have no wish to waste your time ma'am. In fact, I wish to spend more time in Her Most Gracious Majesty's presence."

He walks toward me and takes my hand, bowing down to kiss it, "Mr. Danburry you forget yourself! As you may not have heard I am happily married to His Majesty!"

"But the rumors-"

"Are naught but rumors."

"The shouting the court gossips of, would suggest otherwise."

"Tell me this, Mr. Danburry, are a husband and his wife not allowed to argue?"

"Arguing makes it seem that the marriage is unhappy."

"Then in my humble opinion; I highly suggest you think again. You have my permission to withdraw from the throne room and this palace. If you have any sense after telling your queen that you wish to be her manwhore you will never look in my direction again."

"I never said such things!"

"Oh, but you implied it quite clearly. You may withdraw!"

The man stays where he stands, defending himself and pouring out apologies. Two hooded members of my personal guard step out of the shadows and place a human barrier between Danburry and me. I watch as two guards pull away from the wall and swiftly stalk towards the man. One of them grabs Danburry's arms and pulls him away as he begins to yell his apologies. He disappears through a set of double doors. Lovell pushes his hood off his head and takes off his silver mask as he turns to face me, "You have not been harmed, ma'am?"