Chapter 5

Edward

"I do not think that we should rush into any sort of judgments here."

"Then what do you suggest, Your Majesty?"

Undertones of fury carry through Isabella's voice as she responds, "Actually think before retaliating directly into a possible trap!"

"How can you say something is a trap when you have no experience?"

"We are at war," she slams her hand into the wood of the tabletop, "We must assume every action of Aral, Eldsar, and Imon is a trap!"

"Then we must attack!"

"We cannot start full-scale attacks until we have our allies fighting alongside us!"

"We need to do something Lord Darcy! We cannot just sit here waiting for blades to slit our throats."

"Has Umen or Safire responded to your requests yet, Your Majesty?"

I close my eyes as I take a breath before speaking, "Umen has agreed to fight alongside us as long as they deem it necessary; when they deem it unnecessary they will cease fighting and return to their homeland as a neutral party."

"Why not just stay out of the war entirely?"

"We should be grateful that they are at least doing something."

"What they deem necessary could be far different from our belief."

"Yes, it could be, but we either accept the meager help they give us or start signing away our lives to Aral."

"They gave you a damaged wife!"

Eyes widen around the table and dead silence fills the room; I allow the cold to harden the edges of my calm voice, "She was ill; ill does not mean damaged."

"She already had one foot in the grave."

"Watch your tongue, Goodrick."

"Enough of this useless fighting, we have a war to deal with!"

"A war because of the impulsive actions of Aral."

"Do not act all innocent Queen Isabella; you could have rejected His Majesty's proposal."

"And deny a dead woman, my king, and my own heart-"

"ENOUGH! Can we not make it through a single council meeting without passing the blame around the map?"

Silence fills the room for a minute before Manston speaks up, "Where should we place our first major attack?"

"The Imonian front; we do not yet have the support of Rey Maeto or King Alexander, it is the safest option."

"But it is what Aral would think we would do."

"Then shouldn't we attack the sea?"

"We would have to know exactly where they are."

"Our navy has already taken a hit from Aral, is it wise to attack them where they have the greatest advantage?"

"But they wouldn't-"

An out of breath page bursts into the council room, holding a letter in the air. "Please pardon my interruption Your Majesty, but a letter came for you from Safire."

"Give it to me."

The page hands me the letter, bows quickly, and leaves the room. I break the seal, unfold the letter and begin to read.

2nd Masso 1606

His Most Royal Majesty, King Edward Westwood,

I have pondered upon the request you have made of me, and have come to an answer after speaking with my eldest daughter. She has told me everything she is able to about you and your wife, Isabella, which is why I will be honored to fight alongside my countrymen to end this war in your favor.

I offer my sincerest congratulations on your marriage and I regret that I cannot offer my best wishes to you personally. I look forward to receiving the plan of attack from you.

Your father in arms,

His Most Royal Majesty, Rey Maeto de Leon

"What is it Majesty?"

"Safire will fight alongside us."

"But?"

"There are no buts. Call all of the generals to the palace, we need to plan."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Council adjourned."

<><><>

I close the door to my study behind me and sit next to Isabella on the settee. "Well, that went well."

"Do not take much of it to heart, love, they are merely angry that we have a war on our hands."

"To which I am partially responsible!"

"You are in no way responsible; Aral was rash and insulted when we did no such thing to them."

"But they believe that we are responsible."

"Only in the eyes of our enemies; our allies and the neutral parties do not blame you."

"Are you lying?"

"Why would I lie to my lovely wife?"

"To spare my poor heart."

"There is no need to do that."

Silence settles in the air around us for a few minutes; her dark hair strewn across my shoulder and chest as her head rests lightly in the curve of my shoulder and collarbone.

"Edward, what else was in His Majesty's letter?"

"He wrote his great apologies for missing our wedding and wishes us the greatest happiness. His only regret is that he was unable to deliver his congratulations personally."

"I am glad he approves of the match. It seems that there are many countries that do not." A few seconds pass before she speaks, "Why should they not approve?"

"Many people believe that I should have married for international relations."

"Well, they cannot say anything about the match for we are married."

"Unfortunately that does not prevent wars."

"Edward, you mustn't be so down. Yes, we may be at war but it is one that we can win."

I take her small hand into my larger one and bring it to my lips, kissing the top of her hand, "I pray that we will."

She smiles, a downhearted look in her eyes. Her eyes glaze over as her mind consumes her. "What saddens you mere dila?"

"I just wish I knew how this would all play out; perhaps it would settle my nerves and calm the storm brewing in my mind."

"Everyone carries that wish in their mind."

"And yet no one can see the future."

"This will all be over soon."

"And what if it is not?"

"Then we will keep strong spirits and steady minds; ready for whatever blow may be thrown at us and launching our own back, fighting until we win."

"And if we don't?"

"Then in whatever comes, I will be happy that I was able to live part of my life with a wife who is my own heart and has made me a better man."

"Do you honestly mean that?"

"Every word."

A/N: I have to finish writing my letter of intent by Sunday but I really don't feel like writing it. thanks for reading. -m