Chapter 30

Edward

The two heads fall to the sand, their bodies crumpling beside them. Disarray fills the opposing army, a few soldiers grabb fallen packs and climb the cliffs. They wave black flags, trying to signal their ships of their general's death. Unintelligible shouts can be heard over the wind and crashing waves. Throughout the fighting at sea one Aralian ship tries to raise a black flag, only making it to half mast before the soldier is killed. The sound of six cannons firing at once, wood snapping and splintering, screaming men, trying to get to another boat as the ship begins to sink. Through the smoke we can see a mast from an unmarked ship fall; crushing another ship. Fallen flags ride the tide, towards the shore, torn and stained with blood and black powder. For a brief moment, the only sound is from the waves and the remaining gulls. The Aralian ships raise the white flags one by one. Shouts and cheers fill the air. The Aralians, Eldians, and Imonians place their weapons into piles. The leaders of each army come together and begin negotiations.
The living medics begin to work their way through the battlefield, looking for the living. Soldiers pack up fallen weapons, pulling the dead into uneven lines. The generals step into row boats, rowing out to sea. I watch as they climb aboard the warships, gathering around boxes of cannonballs. They shake hands, speaking urgently. A few minutes pass before they shake hands again and return to their boats, rowing back to shore. Northwood steps out of the rowboat, walking towards me. "Your Majesty,"

"Northwood. The news?"

"It has been decided that the treaty signing will be held at The Summit of Angels, on the Lengvi coast, in five days' time. You are to arrive no later than midday."

"Thank you, General Northwood. I pray your return is a safe one."

"Thank you, Majesty, it was an honor to serve alongside you."

I shake his hand and walk past him, beedlining for the leftenant. "Leftenant! Have the letters been sent?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Good, I would like my wife to know as soon as possible."

"The riders left mere minutes ago, Sire."

"Good, good. Let no more blood be shed."

"As one always wishes. Where are you headed to, Majesty?"

"Ordet, I wish to see my wife."

"You will be taking the Regnant, sir."

I clap his shoulder, "Good man." I move past him, walking through the hordes of soldiers looking for the boats to their countries. I step into the half empty rowboat. Men sit idly, clutching what is left of their packs. Minutes pass before the boat is filled, two soldiers push the boat off the sand and out to the open sea. The sailors begin to row pulling us closer to the Regnant. The men in the middle of the boat sling their belongings over their shoulders and climb up the rope ladder. I follow in suit, the rope coarse against my fingers. When I reach the deck I climb aboard, scanning the men for the captain. He steps away from the sailor and walks over to me, bowing before offering his hand. I shake hands with the captain. His eyes glowing with the warmth of the victory. "Welcome aboard, Your Majesty."

"Thank you, captain. It is a pleasure to be returning home."

"As it always is, Sir."

"When do we depart?"

"When a red flag with your family crest has been displayed on the beach."

"Very well, I will be below deck."

I walk down the skinny, steep stairs to the large sun lit chamber below. I sit on an empty hammock and pull the letter I had been writing earlier from my satchel. I rip it down the middle, tearing it to tiny squares before letting the pieces fly out the port hole, disappearing in the vast sea.
As the men lift the anchor, the boat begins to rock more violently, it lurches forward, the wind catching in the sails. Shouts fill the air as my fingers run over the smooth metal covering of the silver locket.

<><><>

The crew docks the boat in the port. They set the gangplank. Men file off the ship, scanning the crowd for loved ones. I climb into the waiting carriage, instructing the driver to the palace.

<><><>

I enter the palace, walking towards my rooms. "Your Majesty, you are back early."

"Indeed, Manston, good sea and all that. Do you happen to know where my wife is?"

"I do not, Sire, but her ladies will know."

"Thank you."

He bows quickly as I change course and head for the parlor. As I walk through the hall I start to pass my study. The door is wide open, I look inside and smile to myself. I lean against the doorframe, watching as Isabella reads the pages and scribbles out words. "Hello love."

She looks up from the papers in her hands. Her eyes widen in disbelief as her mouth twists into a large grin. "You're home!"

The papers she's holding drop to the floor as she launches herself into my arms. I kick the door closed behind me, burying my face into the crook of her neck, my fingers clasped at the small of her back, her belly pressed tightly to my torso. "Oh, I missed you so much. You've missed so much. The messenger came yesterday with the news of the war but said nothing of you. Are you okay? Please tell me you weren't injured."

I move my hands to capture her face, I chuckle, "I'm fine, my love. No more fatal injuries, although I did need a few stitches, my side has healed. I am fine. Did the deal go through? How is our baby? How are you? What all happened?"

"We got the deal. Baby's healthy. I'm fine. Oh, it feels like you've been gone for so much longer than a couple weeks."

"Did you have any mental attacks?"

"No, Archer has been most helpful."

"I am glad."

"Yes. Do we need to replace any generals?"

"Only one, our men fought well."

"Good."

"We must leave tomorrow, to go to the peace treaty summit."

"Where is it?"

"Lengvi. The Regnant is waiting for us in the port.

"Tomorrow? But that's so soon."

"Yes, but just think, in a few day's time we will no longer have war, our child will be born in a peacetime."

"Yes, well I should tell Eliza and Theo to pack my things.

<><><>

The sun shines hot and brightly overhead, the crew lands the boat in the harbor. The blue-green sea sparkling below us. The small mountain sits in the middle of the island, the marble temple glowing in the distance. I take her hand and walk down the gangplank.

A/N: does anyone have any historical-romance recommendations (on wattpad) that are complete and a little steamy. I don't know what to read right now and am hoping y'all can help.
-
what's cuter: forehead kisses to forehead touches?
I say kisses because the forehead touches always come before the bad thing lol. But I love forehead touches so much.
Anyways thank you for reading. This baby is almost over :( but new ones are coming soon...
-
My feet hurt and I don't want to go to work tomorrow.
-
Thanks for reading!
❤️⚔️ Morrigan