Chapter 21

Edward

"Have you heard anything from the boys yet?" Isabella's face is filled with fearful concern.

"Nothing but the names of those they believe to be suspicious."

"I have an idea..." the knot in my stomach tightens,  "one that may put us on the enemy doorstep;" absolutely not. "but if we are  successful, we will know much more about our enemy."

"What are you referring to?"

"Families. Every single member of the council excluding Lord Sedley is married; surely if the members have wives from other countries or are staying in another one they have affiliations with foreign nobility. If one happens to have connections with an Asuri enemy they will become a greater person of suspicion."

"What do you suggest?"

"Invite them all for tea."

"You might want to do a bit more than tea."

"What do you advise?"

"My dear, as your idea is charming and certainly could work, but sober men do not tell as much as we would need to know."

"Are you telling me to get your entire council drunk?"

"I implied nothing."

<><><>

Isabella's voice fills the throne room, "Thank you for joining me, gentlemen. I am sure you are wondering why I asked you here on this fine afternoon. The truth is, the majority of you are married and have children, and I would love to learn more about your families. I believe that it is my duty, as queen, to know more about my court and to have allies among it. I believe that I will find what I am searching for within your families. I have already had the pleasure of meeting the Duchess Fitzwarren and Lady Catherine Darcy, but, I would certainly enjoy the opportunity of meeting the rest of your families."

I take the goblet from the serving boy beside me, downing the contents as Isabella walks down the steps, moving to speak with the council members.

<><><>

A few yards away, I hear my wife conversing with one of the lords. "I worry much for Ambassador Bennet's wife and children, he must miss them dearly while he is in Aral. How lonely he must be, and his poor wife, Frances, she must fear for her husband's life.

"Do you really believe that the Emperor will kill the ambassador?"

"I do not know what to think, my lord."

"But you still worry?"

"Tell me, my lord, would you worry for someone if you sent them into danger?"

"If it saved many lives, no, I do not think I would worry for them."

"You must be glad that your logic overshadows your heart, but I suppose that is something you have had to learn over the years as a politician."

"Practice makes perfect ma'am."

"I'm sure."

The conversation fades from my ears as I blankly stare across the room, letting the sounds of politics and families drown out my thoughts.

"Sir, Sir, Your Majesty?"

A page boy stands at my ear, trying to grab my attention, "Yes?"

"Goodrick, Maycott, and Skern have left the hall."

"Thank you," I take a sheet of folded parchment from my jacket, "Take this to Lord Curtis in the east wing. Watch the men and stay alive"

Godspeed, boy, may God grant you a long life. The boy disappears from my side, following the men as quickly as he can while remaining inconspicuous.