10. Waves of confusion

Miliano's POV

I can't begin to explain the anger I feel towards my gamma when he hugs her. I can't prevent the deep growl that makes it out of my mouth. She is mine! Why is that so fucking hard to understand?! When he asks Killian and me to talk in private, I'm suspicious, and I don't even know why.

Jason has dedicated his whole life to this pack ever since we found him and took him in. I feel like throwing up when he doesn't say anything; he just looks down at his feet. I almost feel bad for him; that anxiety can't be easy to control.

"Speak," I say, and he clears his throat before he begins talking.

"So, I guess that you're very perplexed right now. That's understandable considering the circumstances... For you to understand, I have to go back to the beginning of my story."

We let him talk without interruption, and when he finishes, I'm speechless. I would never have seen that coming.

"Why didn't you tell her from the beginning?"

"Because I didn't know! This is the first time I've met her since it happened."

"What do we do about the 'problem,' boss?" Killian asks.

"That doesn't leave this room, do you hear me? No one of you is going to start babbling and tell her she can't handle it, and you know it," I hiss, which makes them nod and don't say another word.

"Good then, now we go and talk to her, help her understand."

We stay outside the bedroom door and look at her. She's overexertion so much that she has to hold her breath. But wow, she's a strong she-wolf; no one can say anything about that. I can both see and sense that Jason needs to calm down; that's why we all go our separate ways for the time being. Sometime later, we're reentering the room, and she looks like she just woke up, which she probably did.

"Told you I could do it," she smirks.

I give her the biggest smile I can muster and chuckles at her—my beauty.

"Baby, we need to talk, and it's important."

"What is it?" she asks, and I can feel her worries when we don't answer. "What is going on?"

"Well..." Jason starts.

She looks at him with suspicion, and he breathes out a big sigh.

"I'm sorry, Aleida, I thought this would be easier than it is. Just give me a minute, please."

Aleida's POV

I wait with anticipation, curious about what he's going to say.

"It all began when I was three; my mother lived alone with my older brother and me. Our dad was unknown to us, and our mom never told us who he was. She sadly passed away a few years later. I remember her telling us when we were little boys that we had a baby sister. That she had a different mommy but that she still belonged to us as our sister. You see, our dad was our mother's second chance mate. But since he hadn't met his true mate yet, they couldn't be together. If his true mate were to reject him, then they could live their lives. Anyway, we were really excited when we found out about this, but at the same time sad, because our mom said that we probably never will meet her. We couldn't understand why she wasn't with us. We had a wonderful house and childhood with many toys to share. We didn't dare to speak about our sister for many years after that. I remember one day when we got home from school, and mom was sitting on the couch, crying her eyes out. We hurried to her, wondering why she was crying. She told us that our dad, his wife, and our sister had died in a tragedy," he says, and a tear falls down my cheek as I listen. "We wouldn't believe it. Our mother took us to the cemetery where we could see for ourselves that he was indeed gone. We ran around the whole cemetery, watching for the tombstone for our baby sister. The only problem was that we couldn't find it. We have searched for her for many years; we never gave up hope that we would find her..."