14. It is what it is

Aleida's POV

The unknown man carry me like a bride on her wedding night. He's tall and muscular, has robust facial features, dark blond hair and dark green eyes. He's handsome but, at the same time, intimidating.

"Why are you staring at me?" he asks without looking at me, and I curl up, afraid of what he'll do if I answer him. "It's okay; you don't have to be afraid. Is there something you wanted to ask me?"

"What's your name?"

This time he looks down at me in his arms. I can see one corner of his mouth twitch a bit like he's about to smile.

"My name's Henry."

"It's nice to meet you, Henry," I say quietly and ask a silent prayer that he won't hurt me.

"Same to you, sunshine."

I can see a coal-black SUV standing on the side of the road in the distance. With quick steps, we get to the car. He puts me down gently and unlocks the doors with the remote control on the key. Henry opens the passenger door and helps me in; he even helps me with the seat belt.

I want to thank him, but I know better than to talk without permission. Instead, I bend my head into submission, and he gives me a strange look that I don't know what it means. I jump when he closes the car door and walks around the car.

It doesn't take long for him to put on his belt and start the vehicle. I continue to have my head bent down, afraid of what will happen if I don't. He looks at me in the corner of his eye several times; a worry spreads in my chest. It takes ten minutes before he opens his mouth and starts talking.

"So, Rose moon pack."

It's more of a statement than a question. I say nothing but keep staring down at my hands.

"Why don't you talk, sunshine?"

I draw in a deep breath and gather all the courage I have to dare to answer, even though I know it can be a significant risk.

"I'm not allowed to talk," I answer quietly.

"Who says that you don't get to talk?"

"My alpha," I whisper, unsure whether he can hear me or not.

He frowns and looks annoyed about my answer but doesn't comment on it.

"If I say that you can talk, will you?"

"I answer when someone speaks to me."

"I meant not only when you get spoken to; you're free to talk about whatever you want and how much you want in my vicinity."

"I can't...."

"Why not?"

"My alpha has decided that it should be this way."

"Your alpha, if you can call him that at all, isn't here, and besides, you belong to us now."

I look up at him uncertainly, and he meets my eyes steadily. He doesn't break eye contact once, even though he drives at the same time. Only when I slowly nod, his gaze moves back to the road in front of us.

"Use your words, sunshine."

"Yes, sir," I answer, and he frowns again.

"Sir? No, that's not going to happen; I feel old when you call me that," he says, and I back away again, afraid he's going to hit me or hurt me in another way.

"Call me Henry instead; it's alright, sunshine."

"Okay, Henry."

He smiles at me when I call him what he asks. We both remain silent for a little while after our uncertain conversation.