35. If you want peace, prepare for war

Aleida POV

It's cold on both sides of me when I open my eyes; this means both Miliano and Kian are long gone. I do what I'm going to do in the bathroom and then dress; I walk down the stairs with decided steps, even though I get clear orders that someone will walk with me. As I descend to the last step, our greatest warriors walk towards me.

"Luna! Are you okay? You should have called, and we'd have come right away to help you!"

I try extra hard not to roll my eyes at this silly idea that my mates have obviously spreads to everyone in the pack. Like, seriously? Is it really necessary? I answer as calmly and kindly as I can.

"Thank you, but I'll be fine alone. You're welcome to point out where my mates are, though, so I can kick their asses," I answer, and the warriors look terrified while Michael just laughs.

"Come alpha; I'll show you where they are," Michael says.

I'm following him into a room that seems to be a dining room. Several members are talking to each other, but my focus is only on my stubborn mates. I walk up to them and give them an "I'll kill you" look that they will late forget.

"Oh, you're both in real trouble," Michael laughs behind me while they look confused.

"What do you mean?" Kian asks.

"How come our best warriors stand down by the stairs when I come down, prepared to carry me to the end of the world if necessary?" I ask, and my mates look at each other with an "uh-oh" look. "That's right. I can walk down a flight of stairs myself; come on, guys. Get it together."

"But we just want..."

"I said no!" I growl, and Michael now has a severe look on his face.

"The alpha said no," he repeats.

"Thank you, Michael. Would you please be so kind as to get me some breakfast from the kitchen? I would really appreciate it."

"Of course, alpha," he answers, salutes me, and walks away while everyone looks at me weird.

"What?" I ask.

"Why does Michael call you alpha?" Miliano asks.

"I don't know, let's ask him... Hey, Michael?"

"Yeah?"

"Why do you call me alpha?"

"Because I pledged myself to you and you only. My job is to protect your life at any cost, on my honor. Where you go, I go. No matter the consequences. Besides, you're everyone's alpha," Michael answers and shrugs his shoulders.

He truly is a golden nugget. His words make me tearful. It warms me to know that someone has my back no matter what. Maybe he's also the person I'll take with me the day it's time for me to disappear.

"Thank you, Mickey," I say and hug him.

"Sometimes I think you love him more than us," Kian says, laughing.

"Well, he's a close second, but no one can ever take my mates' place."

We eat our food and talk to everyone else around the table about trifles. Michael is about to walk away when I pull him to me and whisper in his ear.

"I need to talk to you, and it's important, come alone to my office in half an hour."

"You have an office?" he asks, confused.

"Apparently, I found out via an omega yesterday," I answer and shrug my shoulders.

"Okay, I'll see you there."