22. Progress

Aleida POV

Yesterday was just as I had hoped it would be. We had fun, and for the first time, it actually felt like we were a couple, which we are. My men genuinely are amazing... So, why can't I let go of the feeling that something is about to ruin everything? The feeling has been deep within me for quite some time, actually.

I just can't figure out what or who it is, even if my life depends on it; I can't talk to anyone about it either; they'll just increase the protection around me and make it all more significant than it is. No, thank you, it's the pack members who need the protection and not me.

I can protect myself, my mates, and my pack just fine. As both Killian and Henry say every day, I'm a warrior. I've had to fight for my survival ever since I was a child; why should I stop now? Even though I haven't shifted yet, I can take care of myself.

With a deep sigh, I sit up in bed and rub the sleep away from my eyes. I can see the sun's rays through the blinds, and just such a simple thing makes my mood get better. In my good mood, I get up from the bed and walk out into the bathroom connected to my bedroom.

I start the shower and throw my dirty pj's together with my underwear in the laundry basket. My reflection shows my whole body in its natural splendor. Not to brag, but I really have a nice body nowadays. Big butt, big boobs, and curves to die for. There's not much to complain about!

Once upon a time, I hated my body and myself. I'm still sorry about all the scars that adorn my body; today, I can wear them with pride. My scars tell my history and don't allow my imperfections to define who I am as a person.

I stand under the warm water jets, wash my hair, scrub my body rapidly and rinse off all the foam; I don't know why I feel so impatient. It's probably my mates that makes me want to hurry to see them. We don't sleep together yet; they don't think I'm ready for it, but they're close enough.

They've got one room each on the sides of my bedroom. It's close enough for me to feel their scents and them mine. It may seem strange that we take it at such a slow pace, considering that most mates fulfill the mating process within the first days they spend together.

But if we look at my story, it's not very strange at all. Most people who find their mate are practically assembled with them, especially the first period. You can compare it with the "new love" period that humans have with their loved ones.

However, we're not an ordinary couple, especially not since we're three instead of two. Every time I bring it up with them and ask how the pack members will react, they just counter that I get double love. How can I argue with that?

A smile plays on my features when I drown in my thoughts, and I wrap my hair in a towel before walking up to the closet. I pull out a pair of torn jeans, a knitted sweater, underwear, and a pair of comfortable slippers. I dress up and take one last look in the body mirror before walking out the door.

The smell of bacon tickles my senses, and I almost moan by the scent; I love bacon, or yes, all the meat, really. Me and meat have an immortal relationship that no one can break. I skip down the stairs and land with a thump on the living room floor.

Kian sits in the kitchen with a newspaper in his hand while Miliano fry bacon at the stove. None of them notice me, which amazes me; they should feel my scent already when I walk out of my bedroom. They must be focusing a lot if they don't notice their mate standing a couple of meters away.

I sneak up to Kian and kiss him lovingly on his head. Immediately afterward, I put my arms around Miliano's waist and hug him.

"Good morning to you too, baby girl," Miliano says and reaches down to kiss my cheek.