39. Hell on earth

Aleida POV

The world is black—everything's black. I'm alone in a dark world with no happiness inside it. At least that's how it feels for me, and I have myself to blame. I knew from the beginning that I would have to leave my mates behind to save us all; I just didn't know that I had to leave them with a rejection.

I guess this is the price I have to pay; at least they're safe now, even if it's just for a short period of time. Why can't I open my damn eyes? This darkness is making me annoyed! I can't hear anything or anyone. Am I dead? Is this where you go?

I must say that it's sickly overrated; it's just dull; I'm even beginning to miss my fucked up void; at least it was light over there... Even though the whole situation breaks my heart in half and makes me feel helpless, I can't do anything but think that in the end, everything will work out.

There's a point in all this; there has to be, right? Again I try to open my eyes, and this time I succeed. It looks like some kind of basement room. A minimal window that can't be more than three decimeters wide sits high on the wall at my left side.

Besides that, there's no other light source. In addition, it begins to obscure outside. This place is new to me. I was almost confident that they would throw me down in my old basement where I lived, but this is a new place; I can't recognize any familiar scents.

Moisture, blood, mold, and dirt are the only smells I can find. It's not easy to see in here; without my wolf that I can't sense right now, my vision is as good as a human's. My night vision is non-existent right now; my body feels weak, and I have to make an effort to listen to my babies' heartbeat.

It takes a little while, but in the end, I hear their strong heartbeats inside my womb, tears of joy fill my eyes; my darlings are okay! I make an effort to move forward when a pain cuts through my wrists; I look up at the metal cuffs that hold me in place hurt my skin. Well, that's annoying. Gullible bastards! I sigh at their simplicity. They see me as a threat and show me that by putting this torture on me.

"Rule number one, never show your opponent your weaknesses.
Rule number two, never show your opponent that you see him as a threat.
Rule number three, never give your adversary the right to believe that he is better than you.
Rule number four, don't let someone provoke you in a fight; it'll make you unfocused and a simpler victim. Last but not least, rule number five, never back out and never submit to someone else's will!"

Those are my dad's words through every training session, and I've lived my whole life without understanding them until now. The door opens, and a small slip of light comes in. Heavy, trailing footsteps echo between the moist walls. Someone groans from pain when a thud sounds.

Shortly after that, the door slams shut. Despite the pain in my body, I lift my head and see a person lying on the cell floor next to mine. It's an older man that I very well recognize, his name is Luis, and he's the leading strategist for the Rose moon pack. His eyes meet mine, and I see remorse.

"Aleida?" he asks with a shaky voice as if I were a ghost from his worst nightmare; it's enough to quickly review his body to see how badly they've treated him since I last saw him.

"How have you been, Luis?" I ask with a warming smile.

My words make him break out in sobs. His shoulders are shaking, and he sniffs soundly. If I weren't hanging from the freaking ceiling in chains, I would hug him hard. This man has been broken down piece by piece. It looks like I'm not the only one they torture...

"I'm sorry, Aleida," he sobs.

"It's okay, Luis. Everything's going to be alright; I promise you that."