42. Home

Aleida POV

We run for hours, and now, we're almost there. There's only one distinct in the way; uncharted land. That's where most wild supernatural creatures, mainly rogues, live. It's a significant risk for us to try to get through. The problem is that we have no other choice.

The only route that can take us to our destination is either through a pack we're not allied with or swim through the rapids to the other side. Both options are perilous, more dangerous than getting us through the wilderness.

If we try to get through the pack, they'll immediately feel that we're there and kill us. Werewolves are muscular, but even we don't stand a chance against the river's strong currents. I and a few others can undoubtedly survive, but not the weaker ones such as Clare, and I don't plan to leave anyone behind.

That's why I sit with Luis, Michael, and the trio of boys. The boys are smart that they've proven that when they made their way to the city unnoticed. That's why we think that they should be involved in planning our trip, which can be our last in the worst-case scenario.

We've gone through all sorts of conceived outcomes and ideas on how we can get through as quickly as possible. So far, we haven't come up with a workable plan. It's either too risky or demands too much of the members.

We swore to protect them; we fail to do so if we force them into a situation they can't handle. The discussion begins to become more and more frustrated between them. It's time to finish for the day now. I know it's just going to be fuss and disagreement between them; it isn't something we have time for right now.

"Okay, everyone, take a few hours of sleep before we continue this. None of us can reason when we're tired. Our brains need rest if we're going to solve this. Go to bed," I say firmly.

"Yes, alpha," they answer in unison.

They leave me at the big tree, and I let out a loud sigh. How the hell am I supposed to be able to assure their safety?

The same way you always do, think logically.

It's Lisa. We talk on a regular basis now, almost every day.

How am I supposed to get them to let us through unharmed?

I know that she means well, but it's not easy to think right now.

Try to talk with them, maybe they even want to join, and if they don't, you can command them to leave you alone.

She closes the link after that. It isn't a stupid idea at all. What's stupid is that I didn't think about it myself! I need to talk to Michael and Luis about this. Of course, I'll be the one who goes in first. I'll be able to order the rogues because they're werewolves, but not any other creatures that live there.

Even if I'm the werewolf queen and alpha of every other werewolf, I can't order a vampire, for example, to follow my wishes. Besides, both witches and vampires are vicious creatures who live on destroying other people. They are not a safe bet.

~*~*~

It's sunrise when I wake up from my dreamless sleep. I must have fallen asleep before I could go back to the others. My shoulders and neck don't like where I slept; it's evident given how stiff I feel. The grass holds small drops of water from the damp night that just passes.

Apart from a few snorings farther away, it's all quiet and serene. Even the birds aren't awake yet. The sky shifts in a pinkish-orange color; it's undoubtedly a gorgeous morning. It's just sad that we're going to have to spend this glorious day fleeing for our lives through the wilderness.