Chapter Twenty Eight

Okay, enough is enough. As soon as I'm back in my room I pull out the books Cyrene gave me about Star Casters. If I am doing this, I need to know why and how. I pull out my notebook and start taking notes.

I pull an all-nighter and don't even realize it until someone knocks on my door in the morning. I glance at the time and it takes me a second to come to terms with how much time has passed.

I get up and open the door.

It's Asherah.

I feel my heart jump. Of all the people I want to see first thing in the morning, she's one of the last on the list. I step strategically in the crack of the door opening to hide my messy room with books and paper scattered everywhere.

"Morning," she says to me.

"Morning, uh, what's up?"

"The council request your presence." She says.

"Now!?" my voice squeaks.

"Is that a problem?"

"No?"

She raises an eyebrow.

"Just let me get dressed real quick." I shut the door in her face.

I quickly wash up and change into a fresh uniform then I shove all my research under my bed and grab my backpack and phone before walking downstairs to meet Asherah. The girls in the lounge are always quieter and more reserved when she is near.

I guess she is the headmaster of the school and I should fear her power too but I've never been one to be intimidated by authority figures. Something that gets me in trouble more times than not. But come on, someone with the nickname Ashy, how scary can she be?

She walks outside and expects me to follow so I do. I'm led back to the council conference room where most of the usual faces greet me.

"Good morning Emery," one of them says.

I really need to put some names to faces in here.

"Morning," I say.

I notice none of the people who represent the four pillars are here, interesting.

"Well, I suppose we should cut to the chase."

I look at them expectantly.

"We have quite a few topics to discuss. First and foremost, can you tell us what happened yesterday? For your assessment."

"What do you mean?" I play stupid, no way they could know about what Dariyah did to me already. Right?

"Well, you passed your test with a perfect score. Which we found very interesting."

"I did?"

"Can you explain that?"

"Wait you think I cheated?"

They all look at me expectantly.

"I didn't!" I quickly defend myself.

"Well then, you won't mind repeating the test, in front of us."

I look at Asherah but she seems perfectly fine with this.

"Okay..." I say.

So they hand me a blank test paper with the same three questions.

I quickly fill it out and hand it back.

"Now, we read the summary of your confrontational. In it, it is said you showcased great potential and power. Even using a power known as Truesight. A highly advanced Star Caster skill not even Cyrene can do. Can you show us that?"