Chapter Two

This can't be happening, there is no way that just happened.

"Holy cow, Em you're a---"

"Don't say it!" I snap at her.

"But you are."

"This is just a mistake, a simple mistake," I quickly rebutton my shirt.

"Karma," Triton slowly backs away.

A loud murmur broke out within the crowd my name flying out of their mouths in relation to the word witch. They stare at me differently from the way they had looked at me moments ago. When I take a step towards Darius, everyone backs up as if I have some disease.

"I think you should go home," Darius said. 

He can't even look me in the eyes anymore.

"I can drive you," Beth offers.

"What's going on?" Alec broke through the crowd.

"She's a witch," someone sneers.

"No, I'm not!" I cry out and as I did the light above me shattered.

Everyone jolts back.

"W-what's happening?" I back away from everyone as my hands start glowing a bright white color.

"Witch!"

"Devil!"

"Get the hell out of here!" people shout.

"No, I'm not a witch! Stop it!"

"Emery you need to calm down," Beth tries.

Calm? How could anyone be calm in this situation? They literally just hexed me or something, making everyone think I'm a witch. This is going a bit far even for them. I'm not a witch, nor have I ever been a witch. This is all some kind of cruel joke.

"Witch, get out of here!"

"Devil spawn!"

"No one wants you here."

"Stop it!" A blast of light shot from my hands and hit the wall burning a hole in it.

Someone screamed.

"Come on!" Alec grabs me by the arm and drags me out the double doors.

We ran all the way to the edge of the parking lot, my glowing hands causing students arriving at school to swerve all over in distraction. Their eyes go wide when they see my face.

I think I'm going to be sick.

"Alec make it stop," I beg.

"I'm calling mom," He pulls his phone out.

What will that do? How is that going to stop me from becoming the next main attraction in this year's fourth of July? I could probably light up the whole freaking town with my freaky glow hands.

I need to hide. I can't be seen like this. People are going to think I am one of them, one of the witches. I need to lay low until I get this all sorted out. Obviously there has been a misunderstanding or a crime has been committed. They attacked me, that's what this is.

"Where are you going?!" Alec calls after me.

"Anywhere that's not in public!" I call back.

"Hold up," He chases after me, phone to his ear.

I have a few options, the dollar store which is on the verge of closing down. The skate park, which has an indoor skate arena, closed until 5 PM. And then there is the old abandon taco truck, rusting away.