Chapter One

There are some people who would call me an activist. I wouldn't go that far; I would say I am a truth spouter. As I would define it, someone who spouts off the truth at any given moment. For example, was I trying to be an activist when I was arrested and labeled as a disrupter of peace? No. I was just trying to set the record straight.

Magic users are bad for society. They are taking jobs; they are becoming a superclass of people. How can an ordinary person like myself compete with someone with supernatural gifts? These are just facts. A witch will get more benefits if she has the power to manipulate things in her favor, there is no in-between. There is right, and there is unfair.

The witches waiting outside the theater for opening night just like everyone else had to hear this. Why? Well one of them was using her weird voodoo or whatever she wants to call it to try and get in for free, she even cut to the front of the line, where I was. No way was I going to be subjected to her craft. So, I had to tell her the truth, magic is the enemy and that she needed to go back to wherever it is her magic friends' hangout.

I may have started a little bit of uproar, and I certainly never got to see that movie, but the truth had to be spoken. Now, if my mom will see things the way I do, that is still to be determined. Although I have a feeling she won't see it as me speaking the truth.

"You are the activist?" a man with a five o'clock shadow and a coffee stain on his white shirt finally walked in to greet me.

I was wondering how long they were going to make me wait in the holding cell. The way he said it I knew he was surprised to find out his big bad activist disrupting the peace was actually just a high school girl who only wanted to see a movie.

"They get younger and younger," he clicks his tongue.

"Can I go home now?" I ask.

"Let me ask you something, uh... Emery," he pauses to look at his tablet which I am sure has my info on it.

"Is my mom here yet?" I complain.

"Before I let you out, I need to know, what did a Caster ever do to you?" he leans against the cell.

"The witches and their kind are bad for society. They are putting an unnecessary strain on ordinary people. The world doesn't need their freaky powers. They are just creating a superclass of people and promoting segregation and separation," I state.

"Oh boy, listen kid if I were you, I'd lay off the political propaganda for a while," he whistles before he unlocks the cell.

"It's not propaganda it's the truth."

"You're preaching to the wrong one kid, save it for someone who actually cares."

He must know someone who is a magic-user. It's the only explanation. Why else would he defend someone who threatens his very place in society?

"Don't let me catch you here again. You are lucky it's just a warning this time," He pushes me towards my mom who is waiting by the front counter.

"It won't happen again officer, promise," Mom grabs me by the shoulder and hauls me out of the police station.

Alec snorts in laughter once I slide into the back seat of the car.

"Emery how many times do I got to tell you, keep your mouth shut," Mom turns the key in the ignition.

"That Witch started it; she was trying to cut!"

"Enough with the discriminatory slurs. They are called Casters, not witches, not warlocks, not voodoo, or devils, Casters. I've had it up to here. I blame your father for this. If this is how you are going to be acting every time you come back from his house, then you aren't going over there anymore."