Chapter Forty

Did I make a mistake pushing Cyrene away like that? I feel icky. She hasn't done anything but be nice and supportive to me. Not exactly evil-doer material. Maybe I should go apologies. I didn't mean to make her and Asherah fight.

I round the corner heading to my door and slam right into Lorelei. The last person on earth I want to see. My heart skips a beat out of fear. I'm not kidding this woman scares the bejesus out of me.

She stares down at me with this nasty sneer on her lips. I gulp and step back.

"Sorry," I try and step around her.

She steps in front of me.

I move to the right, and she does too.

I muster the courage to look her in the eyes.

"What did you say to Cyrene, why is she so upset?" she demands.

"I didn't mean to make her upset," I quickly defend myself.

"I don't care what anyone else says, you rub me the wrong way. You shouldn't be here." She says to me.

"You rub me the wrong way too," I can't help but snap back.

Stupid mouth, always cashing checks I can't spend.

She clenches her jaw and gets in my face.

"Is that any way to treat a student?" I narrow my eyes at her, I won't let her intimidate me.

"You have no idea what Cyrene does for you, how much she cares about you. She tries so hard to be a good role model and mentor to you. She goes the extra mile to find out all this information for you and tries to make things sound as simple as possible. Good luck learning to use your abilities without her. I have a feeling you won't make it very far."

"I told you it was an accident; I'm going to apologize to her. I'll make it right."

"Don't bother," she pushes past me, bumping my shoulder harshly on her way to Asherah's office.

"Where are you going?" I turn around and walk after her.

"To set someone straight."

"Leave Asherah alone."

"That's headmaster to you." She keeps walking.

"You think you're so big a bad, all because you're some powerful caster. You're the kind of Caster that gives the rest of us a bad name. When I think of a witch, I think of you!" I shout after her.

She stops in her steps.

I take a step back.

She turns to face me.

Oh crap.

Maybe that last part was a bit too far.

I mean she did bring a whole council of people to their knees.

Emery, you've done it now.

"You know what, I think I will." She says to herself before marching back over to me.

Teleportation, don't fail me now!

I close my eyes to think of a place to go, but I'm not fast enough she grabs me by my shirt and pulls me closer to her.

I cringe and put my head down.

"Got a lot a nerve for some runt who can't even stop herself from exploding." She says in a low threatening voice.

"I'm sorry, don't hurt me," I beg.

"It's witches like me who love to teach bigots like you a lesson you'll never forget."