Chapter Thirty-Eight

It's getting hard to tell what is reality and what isn't. All night with Vega as we kissed visions kept colliding with reality. Visions or maybe memories from another timeline clashing into each other. It all just meshed together into one big haze.

By morning I was left wondering, did it really happen? Or was it something only I saw, only I felt? My head was pounding and even though I kept getting weird visions, I didn't want to stop what was happening, so I didn't say anything. I just let it happen.

When I turned over in bed, Vega was there, curled up next to me. Sound asleep. The hickey on her neck told me it did happen. At least some part of it. I smiled at her and brushed some of her hair behind her ear.

She stirred in bed but didn't wake up, just snuggled up closer to me.

I wonder what it's like, to actually fall in love with someone. How did I fall for this girl the first time? How did it all start between us? What was it like? What did I say or do to impress her? How does someone like me get with someone like her? I feel like it must have been a journey, a long and cringy one.

I can't help but smile just thinking about it.

I bet we both tried to fight it at first. Denied it until the bitter end. I bet I caved first. I've never been a patient person.

I wish I had that.

Wish these visions didn't ruin everything. Wish it was the first time and that I got to get the real and full experience of learning to be a Caster. Not this. Whatever this is. It's not fair. Why me? Why is this all happening to me? Why am I being robbed of everything? Is this karma for everything?

I wonder exactly how many times I've repeated this part of my life.

A couple?

A hundred?

A thousand?

What if it's been millions of times?

How would I ever know?

I turn over in bed and grab my phone. I have lots of messages from Cyrene. I scroll to the last one and it says,

'Can you talk to me please? I'm worried about you. Just text me when you're ready to talk. I have something to tell you.'

Is it selfish of me to want to start over again? To want to rewind time and pretend none of this ever happened... I just want to live my life the way it was meant to be lived. No visions. No freaky future-self warning me. I just want to be normal.

I flinch when I feel Vega wrap her arms around me and nuzzle her head into my shoulder.

"What are you doing?" she asks.

"Just checking my messages." I put my phone down.

"Anything interesting?"

"Hardly, unless you count my mom reminding me to be a productive human begin on the weekends interesting."

She lets out a light airy chuckle.

"I know something about you now." I turn to face her.

"What's that?" she smirks.

"Last night, I got another vision about you."

"Do tell."

I put my hand on her hip, lightly tracing my fingers up her back. She gets goosebumps. I stop dead center of her spine.

"Your mark is here." I declare.

"What did you see that told you that?" she raises an eyebrow.

I feel my face flush and quickly pull my hand away.