Chapter Thirty-Nine

The doors are unlocked to the faculty offices. I walk inside and head over to Asherah's office. Hopefully, she's still in there. I need to get her thoughts, to see if I'm just being crazy. I hear murmuring coming from her office and I pause.

Crud, someone's in there with her.

I walk up to the cracked door and peek inside.

"I just... I don't know." Cyrene sighs.

This is bad, this is really bad! I should have listened to everyone!

"Stop that, you and I both know how capable you are," Asherah assures Cyrene.

"What if I'm not cut out for this after all." She sighs.

"Hey," Asherah grabs her hands in her own. "You got this. I believe in you."

Well, they don't seem to be plotting against me. Actually, I'm not sure what exactly is going on here or what it's about.

Cyrene locks eyes with Asherah and the two draw together before they kiss.

I gasp out loud which causes them to jolt apart and look at the door.

Shoot.

"Emery!?" Cyrene jumps up from her spot and swings open the door.

"I didn't mean to spy I swear!" I hold up my hands in surrender.

Asherah is cringing in the background, trying desperately to hide the blush on her cheeks and get her emotions in check.

"W-what are you doing here? Why haven't you been answering me?" Cyrene herself tries to hide how flustered she is.

"I was just coming to see Asherah, I didn't mean to... I'll just go and come back later." I turn to leave.

She grabs me by the shoulder and pulls me inside the office before closing the door.

"Please don't tell my girlfriend you just saw that," Cyrene says.

"First of all, your girlfriend scares me, no way I would tell her that. Second, it's not my business. I mean, I think you two are cute together."

Asherah groans and covers her face in embarrassment.

I can't help but smile. It's funny to see your headmaster and mentor all flustered and red in the face.

"Just forget what you just saw." She says.

"Okay."

"Why have you been avoiding me? Why are you here?" she asks.

"I wanted to talk to Asherah about something, but now I've changed my mind so I should just go and—"

She again stops me from leaving.

Worth a shot.

"I've been trying to contact you, why are you avoiding me? Did I do something wrong?" she crosses her arms.

I shrug and avoid looking her in the eyes.

"Emery, talk to me."

Well, I might as well just tell her the truth. Even if I can't trust her, I can trust Asherah, right? I mean, does her locking lips with Cyrene automatically make her untrustworthy? Then again, is Cyrene untrustworthy? I still don't even know that part.

"You didn't do anything wrong, I just... I got another weird vision." I say.

"Vision what is she talking about?" Asherah asks.

Cyrene looks at her in worry.

"I came to tell her anyway, I think we should tell her," I say.

"Tell me what?"