Chapter Four

The first thing I need to do is cover my mark. Asherah said that it's important, except they didn't give me anything to cover up with. They literally left me on my own and expect me to walk out of this room just as I am. Where anyone can take a peek at my cleavage and see a star there.

I glance at the giant student handbook and figure it's better than nothing. So, I hold it close to my chest as if I'm a diligent new student. Then I slide off the crystal table and walk over to the curtain.

When I peek through, I find a guy standing and staring at his phone just on the other side. He has bleach blond hair and warm pinkish skin. He's in a uniform, black slacks, a white button-up, and a purple sweater vest over it. On the arm sleeve is the symbol of a flame.

As if he could sense me staring, he turns to look at me. His eyes are the brightest amber eyes I have ever seen. He has thin lips that are turned down into a frown. His nose crinkles at the sight of me.

"Um, are you the person who's going to show me to my dorm?" I ask.

"Unfortunately, I saw you on the news. How someone like you wound up in this situation is beyond me. That is what I call irony. I'm Bastion, just follow me," he sighs.

"I'm Emery," I say, mostly because I don't know what else to say.

"I know," He quickens his step.

I didn't really expect to be given the grand tour but I would have appreciated some type of explanation on my surroundings. Like why are all the lights just glowing crystal lanterns? Is there a reason why the main color scheme is black and every dark color in existence? It's like they want people to think they are witches. Also, what is with the occasional freaky fake scenery?

Just like how I woke up to stars, certain hallways or open doorways we passed are like completely different worlds. I've already passed a cheery blossom forest, the middle of the ocean, and the top of a mountain. Just trying to wrap my head around what I am seeing is giving me a headache.

Bastion hasn't said a single word to me, he just stares straight ahead and keeps a quick pace. I wonder if this is how everyone here will treat me. It's not like I'm their biggest fan, but they aren't making it easy for me to see them as anything but what everyone says they are.

When we walk out of what I will call the main building, I find myself in some sort of courtyard for students to mingle and relax. Many students are lounging around in strange ways, one student is even just floating in midair like they were laying on the ground but in the air...

People are horsing around and using their powers to shock each other. A girl is using the water in the fountain as her helper, a water tentacle, that's the best way I can describe it, holds her paintbrushes for her as she paints the scenery.

People wave to Bastion but as their eyes catch me their hands sort of lingering in the air as they make faces at me.

I squeeze the book tighter to my chest.

Several dorm buildings come into view; we walk to the smallest one. It's made of bricks and has a black roof and white-rimmed windows. The door to the building is a deep purple color. Above it is the words, Ash Ruin Hall.

He opens the door and inside is a lobby. Couches, TVs, mini-fridges, and coffee tables. There is also a ping pong table and what looks like a gaming system set up with multiple consoles. Many girls are relaxing. Most watching some game show on TV. A couple are in a heated gaming match. A small group is just sitting in a circle with books in hand and drinks near them.

They all look at me when I walk in with Bastion.

"Hey, can someone help me out here? I got a newbie," Bastion said to the room.