Chapter Thirty-Six

Everything just feels so rushed. Like I am pushing past all these great Caster milestones in a blink of an eye. And I didn't even try to get to them in the first place. My powers, my energy, everything, just came to me. Supposedly naturally.

But that doesn't make sense.

With my new awakening to the cosmical energies or whatever, I can now easily control my own energy and read the energies of people around me. Which is like a whole new level of weirdness. Like a layer or film over the real world. Something you can't see or hear, but I feel it.

I don't like this, this isn't right. How can I know something I don't know? If anyone asked me to explain energy, I'd have no clue what to say. I'd probably sound like a rambling fool. But not knowing what the heck it is or how it works doesn't mean I don't somehow understand how to use it.

Before Cyrene could talk to me after my whatever they call it, I teleported out of there and to the dorm. I need to clear my head and make sense of things before I confront her with anything.

I didn't go to my room because I knew that's the first place Cyrene would look for me. Instead, I went and banged on Nerissa's door.

"Hold on!" she called.

I paced back and forth and when she finally opened the door I pushed past her and walked inside.

"Uh, hello?" she eyed me.

"Something happened," I say.

"What?"

I force her to shut the door and pull her away from it.

"Emery you're freaking me out."

"I can't explain it! I can't explain anything! I feel like I am going crazy." I begin to pace again.

"Slow down."

"I don't know how! Everything is just going so fast." I whirl around to face her.

"Emery, you're not making sense. What is this about?"

A knock on the door makes me flinch.

"Who is it?" Nerissa calls.

"Is Emery in there?" I hear Cyrene call.

I shake my head no, then because I don't trust Cyrene not to just walk in here, I teleport outside the dorm.

"There you are, are you okay?" Darko asks.

I grab him by the arm and drag him to the side of the building. I make him duck down in the bushes with me and tell him to shush as I wait for Cyrene to come out. In less than a couple of minutes she does. She looks around in confusion before pulling out her phone.

I quickly fumble my phone and turn it off just as it starts to vibrate.

I watch her sigh and walk off.

"Why are we spying?" Darko whispers.

"Come on," I grab his arm and teleport back to Nerissa's room.

"That was a close one," I say.

"AH!" she yelps and nearly falls down from my sudden appearance.

"Uh, hi," Darko says awkwardly.

"You've certainly mastered doing that," Nerissa dust herself off.

"Why are we running from Cyrene?" Darko asks.

"Yeah, care to share with the class?" Nerissa crosses her arms.

Before I can say anything there is another knock.