Blog Entry Number Thirty-One

BOOM!

I quickly dialed my phone, trying to hold in 3 pounds worth of tears. I pressed it against my ear.

"Hello?" my father answered.

"Hi, dad. It's Candie," I said into the cellphone receiver.

"Hey, sweetie," he answered. "What's up?"

"I... uh, need you to p-pick me up. I don't have the keys to the house..." I stammered.

"Oh, uh... I'm still on my date." I could hear him looking away from the phone, and quite possibly at his date.

"Oh..." I mumbled, wiping a tear from my cheek. "Alright..."

"Are you okay, Candie? You sound sad."

"I'm fine, dad. I'll just call Bella." I hung up quickly. Then I fumbled to dial her seven digits.

She answered on the first ring. "Hey, sissy!" she chirped.

"Hi, Bells," I deadpanned. "Can you pick me up from 'Junk N' Stuff' and take me to your dorm? I don't have the keys to the house."

"Sure. Lucky for you, I'm near 'Junk N' Stuff'. I'm at that craft store picking up fabrics. I'll be there in a few minutes." The phone clicked dead. I sat down on the splintery bench outside the store. I watched as the bright blue Man Van sped away. I saw Henry, scowling, as Ray was telling him something. Henry replied, still frowning, inaudibly. I put my head down and felt a tear stream down my face. Then another. And another, and another, until my face resembled a redder version of Niagara Falls. The lightning flashed and the thunder boomed once again. The rain kept in time with my sobs.

"Candie?" someone asked, after my ten minutes of miserably crying. Bella was hovering over me. "Are you okay?"

I wiped my cheek. "Yeah... I guess."

Bella raised an eyebrow worriedly. "Why is your cheek red?" she quizzed.

"I-I-I'll tell you later." I wasn't exactly ready to let my feelings out. She led me to her car, and the ride was totally silent. No radios, no playlist, nothing.

Except my sobs.

Tons of unanswerable questions raced through my mind. How could I let this happen? Why did I have to be in the bathroom the same time as Chloe? Why did she have to be in the bathroom the same time as me? Why did I listen to them? Why did I tell Henry?

Okay, that one I could I answer: because I cared about him and didn't want to see him heartbroken.

But maybe... if I didn't tell him, he would've been heartbroken, and everything would be okay with the world.

And I'd still have a chance to be with him.

I shut my eyes tightly to prevent tears from coming. But it only made it worse. I heard a rustle of fabrics and watched as Bella opened the car door. I did the same and moped behind her as she led me to a door with a sign that read "Bella and Angie's room! Xoxo!" She opened the door and yelled, "Angie? Are you in here?"

"How's this?" A girl with a shaggy, dirty blonde haircut strolled out of a room wearing a blue, knee length sweater dress.

"It's beautiful!" Bella gushed. She turned to me. "Angie, this is my sister, Candie. Candie, this is my roommate, Angie."

The girl stuck her hand out. "Angela Matthews. Please call me Angie."

I smiled sadly and shook it. "Nice to meet you," I whispered.

Angie tilted her head. "Is it that time of the month?"

I blinked, and Bella answered for me. "No, she's just very moody. And you haven't told me why you have that mark on your cheek!"

She sat me down on the bright pink bean bag, and I sobbed my way through the whole story. From me getting hit by a car, to almost kiss, to Henry dating Chloe, to the Katy incident, and to present day. Bella walked into the closet.

"What is she--" I started to sniffle, then stood up when I saw her walk out of the closet with a tennis racket.

"I'MMA GO ALL VENUS WILLIAMS ON HIM!" she shrieked.

My eyes widened. "Oh no you're not." I took the racket from her. "No violence. I have to face the fact that Henry and I weren't meant to be together."

"But he slapped you," she growled. "I can't let that happen."

"Well, for starters, it already did happen. And two, just because he made my cheek red doesn't mean that you have to make his black and blue!"

She rolled her eyes and reached for the racket. I pulled it away. "Can I at least hurt Chloe?" She pouted.

I opened my mouth, took a deep breath, and replied, "No. I can handle this myself." Then I buried my face in my hands again and started to cry.

Angie patted me on the back. "No, no. Candie, please don't cry."

Bella hugged me. "It's gonna be okay."

"It's not okay." I pulled away. "He was the first person to ever notice me, the first person to be my friend, my first crush, my first kiss, my... my first everything."

"Wait. Everything?!" Bella and Angie looked at me.

I glared at them. "Not that everything." I chuckled and sniffled.

Angie sat down and handed me a Blix bottle. Then she told me the story of how her parents met. They had met on the first day of what used to be an all-boys boarding school, and went through so many obstacles to be together. Angie's mom had to go England with her family, and went back to the boarding school to confess her love to him. Unfortunately, Angie's father decided to go back to England to confess his love to her. They ended up seeing each other at the prom, then a few years later, after they graduated, they got married and had Angie.

"That's proof that true love goes anywhere, even though there may be obstacles in your way," Angie stated. I opened my mouth to say that Henry and I weren't true love, but she interrupted me by saying, "From all the things that you told us, it seems that you think that Henry's your true love. I'm not saying that he is, but... there's a huge chance it is."

I looked out the window, and the rain had stopped. I glanced down at my wedges and whispered, "But what if my true love is in in love with someone else?"