Blog Entry Number Forty-Five (The Finale!)

*A/N: This is it. The final chapter of "To Mask Or Not To Mask".*

(Henry's POV)

I pick Candie's body up in my arms. I gently tap her cheek.

"Come on, Candie," I whisper, choking up. "Please be okay."

Ray looks at me, then at Candie. "Quick! Go to 'Junk N' Stuff'!"

I nod and run out of the warehouse, with anyone (hopefully) noticing. "Junk N' Stuff" is just a few blocks away from the warehouse, but it's not easy when you're running with a girl who's possibly dead in your arms. I hear a beep, and it's not from my watch. It's coming from Candie's pocket. I dig into it and take out the locket that Ray gave to her.

"Hello?" I ask breathlessly.

"Henry?" a little hologram of Charlotte asks back. "Henry, is that you?"

"Yeah."

"Oh my God, Henry. You're okay! What did they do to you?"

"No time for that! Candie got zapped by something, and she's not waking up!"

Charlotte frowns. "What do you mean 'she's not waking up'?"

"I think she got zapped by Dr. Minyak's 'Dream Beam'!"

Charlotte turns around and tells Schwoz something, and there's a lot of shaking. Charlotte's designated phone is passed to Schwoz.

"Henry? Is that you?" Schwoz quizzes.

"Yes, it's me. Candie got zapped by Dr. Minyak's 'Dream Beam'."

Schwoz groans. "Not the 'Dream Beam' again!"

"Just set up the bed thingy!" I shout, causing a few murmurs. I quickly close the locket and shove it in the pocket of my khakis. I run off, still carrying Candie in my arms. I go into the secret way to get to the tubes, and make Candie stand on her feet. I shoot down, and press on my belt buckle so that the tube would go up, letting us go free. I carry her into the room, but Schwoz, Ray, and Charlotte got me in a huge group hug.

"You're okay!" Charlotte yells.

"You are alive!" Ray and Schwoz say in unison. I shut my eyes tightly, feeling grateful that people missed me while I was gone, but I need to save Candie first.

"Guys, guys, guys," I say. "I appreciate your hugs, but we've got a comatose girl to save first."

"Oh yeah." Schwoz gently lifts up the cover of the bed, and we strap in Candie.

"S-she's gonna be okay, right?" I stammer. "She'll wake up, right?"

Schwoz and Ray look at each other.

"Yeah..." Ray replies tentatively.

"Maybe..." Schwoz mumbles at the same time.

My eyes widen. "Maybe?!" I echo. My voice cracks, and I feel myself shake with fear.

I glance at her sleeping body, her black, pink, purple, and blue hair splayed out, and the calm and peaceful expression on her face. I walk over to it and hold her hand. It's still warm, and her nails are painted neon pink, with a gradient gray ring finger, but it has bright pink polka dots on it.

Who knew someone with a bright personality, someone who lights the whole world with their radiance could burn out so soon?

I brush her black fringe out of her face and gently kiss her tan forehead, and rest my head against hers.

"I don't want to lose you," I whisper. "Not again."

Charlotte pats me on the back. "You really care about her, don't you?"