Blog Entry Number Twenty-Five

I couldn't get my mother's words out of my head. They're faking it. I also couldn't get the fact that Mr. Barlow was still hiding at Famous Dave's. I was constantly watching over my shoulder, and I couldn't sleep at night. I rested my head inside my locker.

"Hey," someone said behind me, putting their hand on my shoulder. I flinched.

"It's just me!" Chloe said.

"Oh. Hey, Chloe," I greeted, rubbing my eyes.

"Are you okay? You have dark circles," she stated.

"Yeah, just... I haven't gotten any sleep this entire week," I replied.

"Oh, okay. Well, you better get more energized! The Katy Perry concert's tonight. Aren't you excited?"

"Yeah!" I tried to perk up, but I had no energy left, and yawned.

"You don't sound excited," she joked, chuckling. I laughed. Henry waved at us and strolled over. He and Chloe quickly kissed each other, and he put his arm around her.

"Hey, Candie," he greeted.

"Hi, Henry," I yawned.

"You okay?"

"I haven't gotten any sleep because of... you know..." I flicked up my eyebrows.

"Oh, yeah. I can tell," Henry mouthed. "Anyway, you girls excited?"

"I'd be more excited if I had more sleep," I replied.

"Yeah, and I feel like I have loads and loads and loads of energy!" Chloe squealed. Henry laughed and teasingly kissed her on the cheek.

"You're adorable," he said to Chloe. I ducked my head down. I tried not to cry, and luckily, the lack of energy took over my body. I fell against the locker and closed my eyes. I didn't open them until the bell rang, because I knew what Chloe and Henry were doing.

***

"Ow. Ow. OW!" I yelped as Bella brushed my hair. She tied my hair up in a high, curly ponytail with an elastic that looked like a neon bow. I kept fidgeting.

"Hold still!" she scolded.

"Why must you-- OW!" I screamed.

"Not my fault that your hair's so tangled," she retorted.

"Arghhh, can you just stop?!" I yelled.

"You're lucky that I'm done." She put the brush down on my vanity's table.

I puckered my bright pink lips. "I look like a bee magnet," I whined.

"No! You look amazing. You're gonna knock Chloe out of the way, and Henry will just eat you up!" Bella snapped her fingers in a "Z" formation.

I stifled a laugh. "But... I don't look like myself."

"You look nice, though! Show dad!" she said, pushing me towards the door.

"Hi, dad," I deadpanned. My dad turned around and spit out the black coffee he was drinking.

"What the--" he sputtered. "No. No. Wear leggings under that."

"I told you!" I half-shouted.

"Just wear those neon leggings with the leaves on them," Bella groaned.

I ran up the stairs and rummaged through my closet. I slid the leggings on under my neon green miniskirt. I adjusted the bright pink pullover sweater, and tugged on the neon pink bow in my hair. I heard the doorbell ring.

"Candie! Your boyfriend's here!" my dad yelled.

"Dad, he's not my boyfriend," I shouted, running into the foyer.

"Whoa." Henry stared at me. Then he smirked. "Someone just walked out of the eighties."

"Yep, Mister 'I'm-the-hot-quarterback-of-the-football-so-all-you-losers-bow-down-to-me'," I retorted. Henry was wearing a red varsity jacket, a pair of acid-washed jeans, a gray t-shirt, and his usual pair of Vans sneakers.

"This is just perfect!" Bella clasped her hands together and took her cellphone out. "Smile!"

But first, she had to, and I quote, "arrange the perfect pose for the picture". She put Henry's arm around my waist, and turned his face so his cheek would face the camera. I had a goofy smile on my face, and had my head slightly hanging down. By the way Henry was smiling in the photo, it looked like he was about to kiss me on the cheek.

"All right, have fun, you two," my dad said, and we walked out of the house.