Blog Entry Number Thirteen

(Two days later)

(Candie's POV)

I walked into Miss Shapen's classroom, feeling worn out and tired, but not looking worn out and tired, all thanks to four pounds of Bella's leftover concealer, foundation, blush, bronzer, and other stuff that I just randomly slapped on.

"Did you hear about Captain Man's new sidekick?" a girl, who I think was Kiki, gossiped.

"Yeah!" her best friend, I think her name was Izzy, replied.

"She seems pretty awesome!"

"Tween Wonder is so lucky to be working with such a hottie like Kid Danger."

"I know, right? I'll bet that they're dating in their civilian forms."

"I ship it."

I slumped in my desk. "Hey, Henry," I greeted.

"Hi, Candie," he yawned. "How come you look so... awake?"

"Are you kidding me? This is just my exterior. I'm so tired from work yesterday. Why did that guy have to rob the Chinese place?"

"Some people be crazy."

"Yeah. Speaking of." I leaned in so no one can hear. "Do you know what Kiki and Izzy were talking about?"

"Hit me with it."

"They think Tween Wonder and Kid Danger are dating. Isn't that crazy?"

"Yeah. We're totally just friends."

I wish we weren't "just friends"., I thought, putting my head down on my desk, trying to get five seconds of rest.

"Good morning, Swellview Honey Badgers!" Principal Ramirez chirped over the P.A. "Here are your morning announcements!"

Principal Ramirez talked about the lunch menu, which were either cheeseburgers, personal pizzas, and ham and cheese sandwiches. He also talked about upcoming events, and other stuff I really didn't care about. But when he mentioned the school play, I shot up, straight as a stick, and ready for action.

"First up: the auditionee who will be playing Amber von Tussle will be... Chloe Pemberton!" he cheered. I heard some murmurs in our class. Appearantly, Chloe had never played a supporting character before.

To be honest, I was nervous to see which part I should get. I was happy for Charlotte, who was playing Little Inez Stubbs, and Debbie, who was playing Penny Pingleton.

"Hang on, folks! We've got two more roles to announce! The person who will be playing Link Larkin is... Henry Hart!"

"Is that a good thing?" Henry asked.

"Heck yeah!" I replied. "You're the main man. Now please, shh! I wanna hear who's your leading lady!"

"And the person who will be playing the main character, Tracy Turnblad, will be... Candie Mitchell!" Mr. Ramirez said.

"Oh. My. God..." I mumbled. I was happy, but I heard more murmurs.

"Chloe lost to her?!"

"Yeah! To be fair, she is a really good singer."

Why were they so surprised that I'm the lead? I suddenly felt uncomfortable and put my head back down. Henry put his desk closer to mine.

"You okay, Candie?" he whispered.

"I'm fine." I put my head up. "I think I might quit the play."

"No!" Henry yelled. "You can't quit!"

"Henry!" Miss Shapen snapped. "Class has started. Stop bothering Candie, and put your desk back where it belongs."

He opened his mouth as if to say something, but reluctantly put his desk back.

***

I took my lunch box and sat down next to Henry. "Hey, guys," I greeted.

"Hey, Candie," they responded in unison. I placed my cheek the palm of my hand and put my elbow on my table.

"Aren't you gonna eat?" Charlotte asked.

"I... I don't feel like eating..." I replied, pushing my sandwich away.

"What? Why?" Henry asked.

"I just... I... I don't know..."

"Stage fright?" Jasper questioned.

"No, not stage fright. Fright. Period," I replied.

"Candie," Henry said. "I told you so many times not to listen to them."

"But I'm worried! I heard them talking about how Chloe's mad that I got the part!"

"What? Why do you even listen to gossip?"

"Because I--"

"It's not even true!"

"But what if it--"

"It's not!"

We kept on arguing and arguing.

"I'm not gonna do the play!"

"You have to! You'll disappoint them all!"

"Yeah, so?!"

"So... do you want to be even more humiliated?"

"I will be humiliated if I do this play!"

"No, you won't!"

"Yes, I will!"

"No, you won't!"

"Yes, I will!"

"No, you won't!"

"Yes I--"

"GUYS!" Charlotte shouted. Henry and I stopped to look at her. "You two sound like an old married couple! Don't act like this now! Wait fifty more years!"

"But I'm trying to get her to be in the play!" Henry argued.

"I told you, I'm NOT," I retorted.

"Ugh, Henry! Candie!" Jasper yelled. "If she doesn't wanna be in the play, then stop asking!"

"But her talent will benefit the--" Henry started.

"Henry. We all know the reason why you want Candie to be in 'Hairspray' is because you wanna kiss her in the end. But if she doesn't want to be in the freaking play, then stop begging her!" Charlotte said. I saw Henry turn red.

"Yes, thank you, Charlotte," I said. "Wait, what? Kiss me?"

"No, that's not the reason why!" Henry quickly shouted. "It's just that... I tried to get you to audition for this play, and you did. I just think that it would've been a waste of time for that audition if you're not even gonna be in the play just because you heard some gossip. Now, I have this question for you: if your mom was in this situation, what would she do?"