Blog Entry Number Twenty-Seven

I lay my head on my pillow, listening to Demi Lovato's "Who's That Boy" through my headphones.

Beautiful boy with them big brown eyes.

I looped that part over and over again.

Beautiful boy with them big brown eyes.

Henry. Henry. Henry., I thought. I put my fingers to my lips. Even though it was Sunday night, I still felt the sensation of his lips on mine. I put the hoodie of his Vans jacket up.

"Candie? I need to talk to you," my dad said in the hallway. I took my headphones off and walked in the living room. My dad sat down on the couch. "Sit," he ordered, reminding me of Mr. Barlow.

"What is it?" I asked. My fingers started to tremble. Did he know about Ray and Henry? Did he know about Mr. Barlow? Did he know about... Henry and me?

"You haven't been acting like yourself lately. What's wrong?" my dad questioned. I felt a rush of relief. Thank God,. I thought.

"What do you mean, 'thank God'?" he questioned. Uh-oh. I said that out loud.

"Nothing. Nothing," I blurted out.

"What's wrong?" he repeated.

"It's just... I'm kinda under a lot of stress. The school musical, my job... friendship problems..." I whispered.

"Friendship problems?"

"Yeah."

"Like what?"

I told him all about me liking Henry. Then I burst into tears, confused about it. It felt embarassing, having to tell my dad about my crush, but at the same time, felt relieved to get all of the moments off of my chest.

My dad hugged my tightly. "Well, it seems like you're in a pickle, but I can't help you. My only tip: be yourself."

He kissed me on my forehead. I appreciated the effort, but it didn't really help.

***

I sat down at my desk, with my hair falling down my face. I listened to 5SOS's "She Looks So Perfect" through my headphones. I started to sing along, but I changed the lyrics so that I was singing about Henry.

"You look so perfect standing there,

In those plaid flannel shirts that you always wear,

But I know now.

That I'm so down.

Your chewed up gum is a work of art,

Got your name tattooed in an arrow heart,

And I know now.

That I'm so down."

"Oh. Hey, Candie," someone said behind me. I took off my floral headphones and turned around. It was Henry, looking adorable in a blue henley shirt and a pair of khakis. His face was redder than the flowers on my skirt. He looked like he was sweating.

"Oh... uh... hi, Henry," I stammered, scratching the back of my head.

He cleared his throat. "I, uh... like your jacket."

"Thanks. I-I-I like your shirt." I looked down at my Bobs from Skechers shyly. Neither of us talked for a few moments.

"So, listen..." Henry said.

"About Friday night..." I explained at the same time. He chuckled uneasily.

"Ladies first." He sat down on his desk.

"Um, so... that thing we did... I'm sorry. I just--"

"Candie," Henry said, putting a hand up to silence me. "I should be the one apologizing to you. I was the one who leaned in."

"But... didn't I stop you." I picked at a strand of my hair.

"You were shocked, you couldn't help it."

"But... the truth is... I... uh..." I was about to say, "I kinda enjoyed it," I shut my mouth.

"You what?" Henry asked, leaning in.

"Um... never mind," I whispered, fiddling with my locket.

"Oh... okay then." He wilted. "You know what? Let's just forget it ever happened."

"Deal." We shook on it. I looked at Henry, and he looked at me. We stopped shaking hands and just held hands for a few moments. I felt a rush of warmth run up and down my body, like a mouse scampering for cheese. I realized what we were doing, and I yanked my hand away. I turned bright red and turned around to face the board.

"Alright, class. Take out your textbooks and turn to page 275," Ms. Shapen instructed, writing something on the board. "Today we'll be learning about the history of the potato plantations in Maryland..."

By that point, I wasn't listening to a word she was saying. All I did was think about the kiss. Did I enjoy it? Did I not pull away because I was shocked? Did Henry enjoy it? Did he think it meant something?

"Miss Mitchell. Mr. Hart," someone said, distracting me from my thoughts. "You two seem like you're not listening." I looked up and Ms. Shapen was hovering over our desks.

"Henry Hart, Candie Mitchell, please report to the office. Henry Hart, Candie Mitchell, please report to the office," the person over the P.A. addressed. I breathed a sigh of relief. Henry and I looked at each other, but we grabbed our bags and walked out of the classroom.

We rushed into the principal's office. A man had his back turned and faced the . "Is this your father, Candie? He says that he needs to talk to both of you," the secretary stated.

The man turned around, and it was indeed my father.

He grabbed me by the arm tightly. "Come with me," he growled. I took Henry's hand, and he dragged both of us out of the school.

My heart pounded. "What are you doing?!" I yelled.

"I know all about you two." He glared at Henry and me.

What?