nthn || itadori yuuji

{angst, fluff}

source: jujutsu kaisen

artist: official
~

In the world of jujutsu sorcerers, happiness was extremely uncommon. A career where your life was always on the line wasn't bound to be a fun one unless you were sadomasochistic. Yuuji wasn't that. He instead was just optimistic, but even that had its limits. Yuuji was scared - terrified even. He was thrown into this with barely a second thought, barely any time to realize how much responsibility now weighed on his shoulders.

Nanami, try as he might as a responsible adult in Yuuji's life, could not lessen that burden.

Yuuji was irreplaceable as of current, but not as an actual jujutsu sorcerer. Not as himself. Simply irreplaceable as the vessel of Sukuna. Sukuna made sure he knew that. The smiles Yuuji would flash at his peers and his Gojo sensei were more for himself than for anyone else. And those smiles had been working less and less lately.

It felt like the world, the universe, everything was caving in on him.

He didn't want it.

He'd rather die.

It wasn't like he hadn't thought about it. He thought about it a lot. But it was like he'd told Principal Yaga - he couldn't let himself leave knowing that he could save countless lives just by being where he was today. It made him nervous that among those lives, his was not one of them. He'd be saving people, but then who'd save him? Megumi and Nobara simply formed a camaraderie with him becasue there were so few other Jujutsu Tech students in their year. It wasn't hard to memorize two other names.

At least, it had been two other names until they'd gotten another 1st year, a transfer from Kyoto. (L/n) (Y/n) they said his name was. He was quiet, quieter than Inumaki, which was strange. But he didn't quite need to talk because he truly didn't have anything to say. The student kept to himself not really talking or socializing with anybody besides Megumi's demon dogs. 

Yuuji couldn't help feeling the slighest bit interested at the new student. He'd always been a  friendly boy, and it wasn't like he had changed much at his core. In fact, he found that he greatly enjoyed any time he spent with (Y/n). It also helped that if Yuuji were ever absent, (Y/n) would ask around for the blonde's whereabouts in his own silent way. (Y/n) really was the only one who made Yuuji feel wanted. Somehow, that made him feel a little bit better about the situation. 

Because there were four first year students, Gojo - sensei thought it was cute to mix and match pairs, cheekily play Cupid as if this was a normal school with normal problems like understaffing for the sports festival and not every school trip they went on having the risk of costing them their lives. He'd usually watch each student's talents and then match them together with who he thought would work best together, and so far Yuuji had been pretty versatile. Friendly and goal driven. It was almost common sense to have (Y/n), someone with personal experience on jujutsu fields accompany somebody with little experience. Besides, it wasn't like Yuuji was the only one being benefitted. (Y/n) would have someone to ease him into the singular social circle they had at Jujutsu Tech. 

He never thought that he could've messed up this badly.

It hadn't been a hard mission, something simply to help (Y/n) gauge his limits so they could figure out how to go forward with his learning. Yuuji had thrown a couple jokes his partner's way while they were traveling to their destination, (Y/n) smiling just a goodhearted smile that Yuuji's own heart stuttered. Yuuji was certain he liked girls, but who was to say he couldn't like girls and (Y/n)? Both were so pretty they made his chest feel like it was being stepped on and his guts feel as if they were on the craziest rollercoaster in the world.  They'd both been feeling pretty good about the mission, (Y/n) fitted to give his best and school Yuuji on the battlefield, and Yuuji eager to show a new friend what he could do.