caroline || sugawara koushi

{fluff}

source: haikyuu

artist: official
~

"Kouuuuushiiiiii! Hurry up! I want to get to the top before it gets dark!" Sugawara huffed, resting his hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath. (Y/n) was so far ahead of him that he could barely see the back of his boyfriend's shirt, which only made the older feel more competitive. He definitely had to get to the top of this mountain. 

"Slow down, (Y/n)! I'm carrying all the heavy stuff!" An indignant face popped from around the foliage, cute cheeks puffed out in a pout.

"As if the tent isn't heavy!" Sugawara would've laughed if he wasn't trying so hard to catch his breath. He had played volleyball all throughout high school and was good at it too. He didn't know how (Y/n) was sprinting up this mountain so fast when he hadn't taken any sport extracurriculars his entire life. He huffed, straightening up to start trekking again. 

"Yeah, I bet the tarp is giving you a workout," he mumbled to himself with an exasperated grin. 

When he finally caught up to his boyfriend, Sugawara had sweat through his shirt at least three times over and was so ready to leave the tent setting to (Y/n). Said boyfriend had already set up the tiny dinner of thermos miso and canned tea on a flat rock, the tent tarp set onto the ground unceremoniously. Catching sight of Sugawara, (Y/n) lit up and waved him over. 

"Koushi you look absolutely obliterated." Sugawara let out a large sigh, letting his whole body slump against the rock table. He sipped on the tea (Y/n) passed over to him like he'd trekked through a desert. He downed half the can before turning to speak to the smug man across from him. 

"I feel it - All my muscles are so sore." He downed the rest of the can before crushing it and putting it in their designated waste bag. "You're - " (Y/n) silenced him with a kiss, licking up the tea that spilled over from his messy drinking. 

"Yeah, I'll take the heavy stuff down the mountain tomorrow. You can just carry the tent and rest your weary bones." Sugawara hummed and gave (Y/n) anotherquick  peck on the lips before grabbing his thermos of soup. God, he was hungry. Sugawara slurped the soup down like it was his last meal on Earth, though not as desperately as the tea he'd demolished merely a couple seconds earlier. (Y/n) leisurely sipped on his soup, eyes trained on the beautifully setting sun. Sugawara, following the line of his boyfriend's sight, paused. He'd seen the sunset before while walking home with teammates and other classmates, sometimes watching it through the large window in him and (Y/n)'s bedroom, but never like this. 

The sky was as expansive as the sea, never ending and above, vibrant pink - orange giving way to elegant, verdant blue - black. The sun, with its bright face, sunk lower and lower with every passing minute, changing from the dazzling white of afternoon to the cozy orange of evening. It was enchanting. Suga was glad he'd agreed to take a few hours off from working to go on this hike with (Y/n). He'd remember this night for the rest of his life. 

"How many people have hiked up this mountain just to watch the same view as us?" Sugawara turned to look at (Y/n), unsure if he should answer the question, unsure if his answer was even right. 

"Probably a lot." A noncommittal hum in reply. 

"So many people, sitting, living under this same sky -- countless people walking up the same path we walked and sitting in the same position we are right now ... it's comforting knowing that us at this very moment are being immortalized by time, bound to fall into the same anonymity, just by sitting and looking at the sky." Sugawara was speechless, and remained so. (Y/n) spoke like this a lot when he was greatly moved. He didn't mind his boyfriend acting like this. It meant that (Y/n) was so happy at the moment that he wanted to carve it into his mind, into his memory, and into his heart forever. A finger pointed towards the sky, now a deep black, littered with stars and a galaxy if you squinted. 

"The people who come up here after us will never know us, and neither will the people who came before us, but the stars will never forget. Just like they, no matter how dead and gone they are, will always be there for us, neverending. We'll be just like that for them. An endless slideshow. A constant even after we're long gone." Sugawara nodded along. (Y/n) was right with that sentiment. Sugawara didn't mind when these sentiments made him feel small, but it did end up making him a little nervous. To be, in the grand scheme of the universe, so small and insignificant in size, but simply irreplacable in impact. No matter what he did, he'd always leave a mark behind. In space, in time, in energy. 

The vague noise of fingers running through dust and loose rock had Suga's ears perking, but he didn't turn his attention from the vast and endless sky. Shuffling came from across from him - (Y/n)'s direction -  and a puff of warm breath hit the shell of his ear. It sent a shiver up his spine. 

"Koushi, how many people do you think came up here for a very specific reason?" Sugawara swallowed thickly, taking a deep breath before speaking.

"Everybody does everything for a reason. Even if it's justified by 'I just wanted to'." (Y/n) smiled, he could feel his boyfriend's soft lips stretch and press against the tip of his ear gently. 

"When we get back to the city, let's get married." Sugawara gasped gently, feeling his heart clench and spasm in his chest. He turned, slowly, cautiously, as if (Y/n) would disappear if he looked too fast. Happy, deep eyes that reflected every single star and glimmer in the sky met his. A hand, a bit grainy with leftover dust, cupped his cheek, (Y/n) running his thumb over the cinnabar mole under Suga's left eye. Gentle lips captured Suga's and he couldn't help but squeeze his eyes tight, letting his breath be stolen by something other than the searing heat. 

"I love you, Koushi." A trembling, shaking breath, with trembling, shaking hands to match. 

"I love you too, (Y/n)."

And the stars watched, like they always did. Like they always will. 

~

okey dokey there ya go, smth that took me foreva bc i had art blocke. thank u fleetwood mac for being a genius