twilight\forgiveness || tsukishima kei

{angst, fluff}

request by ponytailnibajikei , butwheneveri , ultimate_simp1321 , curiosity-killed-me , shiroisgay423 , froggyfresa , and iigenixn

source: haikyuu
~
After that, (Y/n) didn't show up to Karasuno anymore. Tsukishima had asked around, but no one had kept tabs on the second year. Nobody had cared to. It filled the blonde with rage - how could people be so careless? Someone from their own school had disappeared. Were they just not going to care?

Yes, he stopped and reminded himself. Yes they were. He would have been the same if he hadn't taken Tanaka and Nishinoya's bet on. He felt like puking just thinking about it. He didn't have the courage to go to his house, nervous about what (Y/n) would say to him. He knew he fucked up big time, but he was terrified. Terrified that someone who he'd loved and felt so deeply would never want to see him even if it meant living the rest of their life in that oppressive, ominous house. Tsukishima couldn't be worse than neverending, suffocating lonliness.

"Sensei, have you heard any word from (L/n) - kun?" (Y/n)'s homeroom teacher peered at the tall blonde from above his glass frames. He didn't say anything for a little while before setting the papers he was looking at down.

"Tsukishima - kun, why do you keep asking me this?" Tsukki faltered, nibbling his bottom lip nervously.

"B - Because, sensei, I'm worried." The teacher sighed, rubbing the bridge of their nose before taking their glasses off and setting them on top of the papers, looking at Tsukishima with naked eyes.

"Tsukishima - kun, you should stop making a fool of yourself." The blonde stuttered before falling speechless, appalled by the harsh words lobbed his way. But the teacher didn't stop there.

"You knew that what you were doing was going to hurt (L/n) sooner or later, and yet you continued to lead him on. You hurt him. Not your senpai, not your teammates, not even the other students in this school. (L/n) wasn't treated warmly, but he wasn't treated coldly either. Nobody but you went out of your way to hurt him. Acting like you care about him now just looks pathetic and insincere. Is that your true character, Tsukishima Kei - kun?" Tsukishima could feel his throat becoming tight as the back of his eyes stung.

'I didn't mean it!' He wanted to scream. 'I was stupid! I didn't know!' All excuses made to defend himself. His breathing started to hiccup the more he stared at the teacher in front of him, chest aching with guilt. The teacher exhaled, tension leaving his shoulders.

"Have you tried apologizing? There's not much you can do to make things go back to the way they were, but at least it's something." Tsukishima listened, taking deep breaths in an effort to calm himself down and make himself not cry. He shook his head, gently wiping his slightly runny nose on the sleeve of his gakuran. The teacher nodded for Tsukishima to go ahead and do so. Tsukishima nodded in return, before turning to leave the teacher's lounge.

"Ah, Tsukishima - kun." The blonde stopped and turned back to the teacher, who had just put his glasses back on his face.

"No matter what happens, don't blame or hate (L/n) please. And hold your head high even if it's something you don't want to hear." Tsukishima nodded slowly, before leaving the lounge.

What a strange thing, he thought. Because if he kept apologizing, eventually (Y/n) would have to forgive him. He had to. Tsukishima still loved him with his whole heart. That's how it worked. An apology was meant to be forgiven. Otherwise, what was it there for?