| 38 | 𝙼𝚒𝚖𝚒

"These are my grandparents."

I smile up at Travis as he stood before them. They looked up at him in amazement, and I saw Louis snickering at their reactions too. I am certain that they have never seen an African American man, it's China we're talking about!

I do more things than they do, so I'm more exposed to the world. Now they can be too! By seeing my husband...I mean, boyfriend.

"Nice to meet you two, I'm Travis." He smiles happily, extending his hand towards my grandmother first. I blush at how cute he was being, but I could understand the misunderstanding, shaking my head at him fast. "What? Did I do something wrong?"

"Just slightly bow, like this," I bow for them like how he should, " That's all."

His eyes widen, but he soon bows like how I showed him. I see my grandmother smile as she bowed too, then my grandfather as well. For them to bow back means they are showing just the same amount of respect, but there's always more respect the younger generations have to give.

I could see Travis glance at me, and I know bowing is different. He's used to shaking hands, but that's not really used here. It's also especially different for the different generations. I can say our generation uses the 'hand-shake' way more though.

I know he'll ask me things on it later, most likely.

"It's nice to meet you Travis, I am Seo Minsheng." My grandfather speaks to him first, and I see look over at my grandmother now.

"Yes, I am Huizhong. You can just call me...Hui was the nickname, right Mimi?" She smiles, looking at me out of nowhere and I just grin in agreement. Even though that was abrupt...I haven't called her that since I was a kid. "Yes! Hui, because when Mimi was little he had a hard time saying my name, so he suddenly started calling me Hui! Now, it's just nǎinǎi." (grandma)

I could tell Travis found that intriguing because there was a new word he knew. It was just common sense that it meant 'grandma'. I know he enjoys the different language and learning it, I wonder if he's curious about hearing more.

That's when I see Louis go towards the kitchen. I didn't know why until he grabbed a note from the fridge. He stared down at it and soon gasps.

"Wàigōng, did you ever get the ingredients for the dumplings? Ooh! What about the roast pork, duck?!" ( Grandpa ) Louis raises his eyebrow at him, and he chuckles awkwardly. "You haven't, didn't you?"

"That's why the list is on the fridge Louis." He snickers as he shrugs. "It slipped my mind. How about...since we have young, fresh people amidst us - how about..."

I already knew he they would look at as my grandfather set his eyes upon me. I don't say anything, only for him to nod.

"Mimi can go get it." My grandma just says and I sigh.

"But, we h-have things to d-do like bring out st-stuff-."

"No talking back, just do it." My grandma snaps now. I flinch...but I don't question it. I just nod as I go over to Louis until I feel Travis grab my arm.

I look at him nervously because my grandparents are different from my parents. They are definitely homophobic, not that they know that. They wouldn't think I'd be into guys...and they would never think Louis was either.

"Travis-."

"Wait, wàigōng and nǎinǎi, we really haven't brought our stuff up yet. It's in the car, we also brought some boxes for Christmas." Louis pipes up, and I look at him with wide eyes. "How about...we get that stuff in first - because there's a lot - and he can look around to see what you need. You never know."