| 36 | 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐬 + 𝙼𝚒𝚖𝚒

I stood in line, thankful that I didn't need to know Mandarin to be in a breakfast line. As I got closer to the plates I look over my shoulder at Mimi, and I point to the medium-sized plates or the large.

When he nods on the large plate I smile as I pick it up. Grabbing one for myself too, I begin to go forward. Except when I do I feel someone slam into my back. I had didn't drop the plates, but it's just the fact that this person wasn't paying attention.

I turn around in annoyance, making eye contact with some guy with long hair. His eyes looking up at me in shock, but it soon turned to amazement.

"Sorry..." He apologizes in English, and I nod.

"It's fine." I say calmly as I begin to go forward. As I do I stop to see foods I have never seen before. I just look down at this stuff...it looked different. "Hey, the one that bumped into me?"

He looks back at me, nodding.

"Can you tell me what these foods are because I'm...debating on starving." I joke and I see him smile.

"Okay. That's zhōu - rice porridge, it's really good. Next to it is chǎofàn - just fried rice." He shrugs and I just scoop up a lot for Mimi, but my plate was pretty...empty. "I take it this is your first time in China?"

"Yeah...that obvious?" I joke again and he nods quickly. I just snort as I stood before interesting-looking pancakes. "Finally! Pancakes, something I know, but...why is there those things on it?"

The guy grabbed my plate, and he placed two of these...odd pancakes on them. Placing vegetables and sausages on it, which I'm not used to.

"Where's the syrup?" I frown, and he frowns.

"Syrup? What is that?"

I look at him crazily until he smiles teasingly, pointing at the silver cup.

"There is, but this is customary. I insist to just try new things. Like yóutiáo or bāozi, just dough-sticks and steamed-buns. They're the best part honestly, oh! Are you here with anyone? I'm here with my band." He nods behind him, and I look to see a group of guys around a table already eating. "I am the only one who knows English fluently because I grew up in Europe for a little as a kid, just in case if that was on your mind."

"Ha, it wasn't; but I like hearing new facts." I chuckle, and he smiles awkwardly. "I mean, I'm here with my-."

I stop, seeing him wait curiously. I just look over at Mimi and saw him look at me with this irritated look. That's when it hit me he wasn't even looking at me, but at this guy.

If we were in America...I'd gladly say boyfriend. Except it's China and I want to respect that he may not want everyone to know. It's completely different here, and I want to respect that.

"I'm here with him." I nod over at Mimi, and the guy looks.

"Oh! He looks familiar..." The guy narrowed his eyes some, but soon gasped. "He goes to my school! Beihang University, that school is very nice. He's considered the Wang Qiu Wang Zi-."

"Prince of Tennis, right?" I snort at such a name. "Yeah...I know him from high school. He was an exchange student in the US for some time. We're really close."

The guy nods, and that's when he gasps.

"Would you guys like to sit with us? One of my friends has always wanted to be friends with him, but...Min-Jun - I believe is his name - always hung around with his team and no one else. My name is Jianyu, but you can call me Jian. May I ask what...your name is?"