CHAPTER 6:THE NORTHERN WASTELAND.

There were a pile of white papers scattered on a large table. The floor surrounding the table was also covered in sheets with confusing notes and figures drawn on it.
A young teenager with green hair was outside the small door framing the entrance of the wooden house. Before him was the wasteland.

"...." Its been a month since I came here. The first thing I did after coming here was to conduct a research on the topography of the wasteland. Of course there were already existing records detailing the issue with the wasteland but I had to conduct my own personal research before doing anything to this barren land.
Before healing any wound it is necessary to find out the cause of it.

This explained all those annoying white sheets scattered inside the wooden hut.

The soil condition was one thing. The impurities was another thing. Its not very difficult to improve the condition of the land. With both traditional, natural and artificial ways the infertile, dry, loose surface of the soil texture could be improved in more than one ways. The problem though was the impurities and mana residues which had been stuck underneath the surface. It was acting as a poison to the interior of the soil, which will continue unless treated.

The essence of magic was minimal in this world but magic existed only in few. The energy flow of magic was called mana. This mana, was found both in the human body and natural state. Those who were gifted could wield magic without relying on natural mana. Though the numbers in this category was very few. Hence, the mana energy found in natural state was used as a source for conventional purposes. Out of those, the most common use of mana was making weapons. In arms and weapons, mana was used both as a raw material and fuel source. Mana in the form of fuel after going through artificial adjustment was different from its natural state. The output of Mana as a fuel in the form of machine power is destructive since it was built for that reason. Hence, once it hits a land over and over again, the land will end up like this barren land.
The residues and impurities that were being a pain in the ass is the reason why I had gone through a series of thick books detailing every plant record existing in this world.
It was a tiring job. Thankfully after searching through and through those thick papers I finally found some plants that will be of use to me.

The Red Blast plant. A weed like herb that could grow in any type of land as long as there is soil. This herb can absorb any form of energy surrounding its roots. Absorbing the energy as its nutrients it can survive even in a place like hell. Once the plant growth reaches its maximum capacity it explodes leaving a couple of red pearl shaped seeds which are used for medicinal purposes.
There was also the golden weed grasses, a type of grass that had similar attributes as the red blast plant.
Hopefully, the experiment that I am going to try using them will be successful.

Thankfully I am really grateful that the ecosystem of this world is not like that of earth's replicas. If it were to be, fixing the northern wasteland would be close to impossible. Thanks to the existence of mana and its unique range of biodiversity, treatment is possible. 

As far as I was concerned it should work. But before that I had a harsh task to complete first.

Ploughing the entire northern land with the use of machinery was going to invite more trouble. Doing it manually was impossible too.

I sighed. I have sent the palace a letter requesting a list of items that I will need to test my hypothesis.

But....

Thud. Thud.

Those heavy steps causing the ground to tremble slightly.

"Calling it an item is too much of a shock even for me." I sighed knowing that my ploughing tools were here.

"Master, there are people from the palace." Elean reported, visibly shaken by the sight of those giant creatures.

Well. I couldn't blame her.

When I walked out to greet those people from the palace, there were six giant animals. More like, they were magic beasts. Except that they held no magical attributes. Two flapping yellow ears with orange strips covering their fore limbs from head to toe and huge sparkling eyes, these creatures looked like a mix of a giant elephant and pig. Just like their docile and cute appearance, this magic beast called "Yillo" were super friendly, company loving creatures. Their demeanor was like dogs, calm and loving dogs.

I was going to use them to plough the northern wasteland.

Turning the soil upside down to let the natural sunlight do their part of softening the impurities stuffed inside this barren land.

Sun exposure and Mana were complimentary to each other. Hopefully my deduction is right.

Thankfully, it did ended up being right.

A few weeks later, after I was done ploughing the land everyday with the help of Yillo, I selected a few plots. Based on the divisions, dumped plant and food waste onto the selected area and let nature do its magic.
A few more weeks later, the plants that I have specifically ordered arrived.

Just like this another month went by.

It was a delight when I saw new babies sprouting from the soil. The golden weed grass was germinating faster than the rest. Well, given that the soil condition was still poor, it was a huge step to see the other plants grow. Even the seeds that I have sprinkled on the land were sprouting lovingly.

Taking note of their growth over the month, I decided it was time to bless this wasteland with the best type of natural fertilizer.

Composting took away another month from my time limit.

NOTE: OUR MC.
REAL NAME:ZEKE HYNDEAL.
CURRENT NAME:RENEVER THRANOR