Chapter Seven - Eavesdropping

I had cried myself to sleep

I had cried myself to sleep. Even though the sun was burning my retina, I still fell asleep.

I awoke to a gentle hand lightly rubbing my back. I shot up. I almost hit a frightened Madeline in the face.

She jumped back and only just caught herself on a stool behind her. I looked around and realised I was in the medical wing.

Again.

I calmed myself down and realised my cheeks were dry and I was in a fresh set of pyjamas. Madeline studied me frantically. She pulled me into a bone-crushing hug, and I almost immediately sagged against her.

I was on the verge of crying, but no matter how hard I tried, nothing came out. I was dried out. I was burnt out. I was extremely dehydrated; I was extremely exhausted, and I just felt like absolute rubbish.

Madeline pulled away from me and ran over to the sink to get me some water. I stared down at the floor, my posture was terrible. I slowly stood up and walked over to where Madeline was standing, filling up a white plastic cup with water. I looked up and saw a monster.

My eyes were bloodshot red, they were puffy, and my nose was stuffy and a bright red too. I yanked a tissue from a nearby tissue box and blew into it. It sounded like a wheeze. I threw the tissue away and grabbed the cup from Madeline, muttering a thank you. I chugged the water and then grabbed another, and another, and a few more until my body was satisfied.

I walked back to the bed and laid down on it. Curling back into my tight protective ball once again. Wishing that Victoria was there to brush my hair out of my face, wipe my tears away and reassure me that everything will be alright. But I know that that will never happen again. Never.

I started weeping once again. Why was I so sensitive? Was it just a girl? I've been with many girls; I've broken up with so many girls too.

Oh, but Victoria was so much more than just a girl. She was full of life. So full of life. She protected me against everything, just like I did with her. She loved me like no one else did. She cared for me when no one else did. She was so much more. Now she was something I can't have anymore.

Madeline rushed to my side and cradled me in her arms. I gave in and let her hug me. I buried my face in my hands and wept.

"It's okay Ace. You're okay. I'm here. Just let it out."

But that's where she was wrong. I wasn't okay, and she shouldn't have to put up with me acting like this. I have things to do, I have a family to get rid of, I need to get in contact with Victoria again.

I straightened and wiped my tears away. I sniffled and finally said, "It's time to make things right Madeline."

With that, I stood up and took a few tissues. As I cleaned up my face, Madeline looked at me and gave me a small smile. I returned it and marched out the door.