Chapter Forty Eight - Relief

I followed Ace into the torn up garden

I followed Ace into the torn up garden. He was sitting on a piece of rubble, staring at the burnt grass beneath his feet.

Just as we had planned. Everything went smoothly, but Amelia...Amelia's death shattered something in him.

I took a seat next to him. I grabbed his hand and gave it a tight squeeze.

Then, he started weeping.

I turned and wrapped my arms around his torso, rubbing up and down his back and whispering soothing words into his ears. His wept into my shoulder relentlessly. His blood soaked hands brushed through my hair.

"It's going to be okay Ace. Everything is going to be okay."

"But my mother...she never got too..." His voice broke as he said this.

"I know my love, I know. She's in a better place now, and I know that she's so proud of you. You did it. She loves you, she always will."

His hands shook violently. He only held onto me tighter. I wish I could make all this pain and suffering go away. I wish we could have saved Amelia before it was too late. So many wishes that now cannot be fulfilled.

"I love you Ace. I always will. And I am so proud of you."

He sniffled, pulling back a bit and cupping my face. He peppered kisses all over my face, I laughed and pulled him closer. He kissed me properly now, I opened my mouth and let his tongue enter. My hands found his hair, I gently tugged on it, which earned a groan from him.

A grunt from behind us interrupted the kiss.

I pulled away from him slowly, turning around and finding Kai standing there with his hands in his pockets. Tears stained his cheeks as he stared at the broken garden beyond him.

I glanced at Ace. He gave me a stiff nod indicating I should probably leave and let the two of them talk. I pecked him on the lips before standing up and brushing the ash off my pants.

Kai and I crossed paths, I pulled him in for a long hug. He silently sobbed into my shoulder, wrapping his arms around my torso, and squeezing the life out of me.

God, this hurt to see.

He trembled as I pulled away and kissed his cheek. He gave me a ghost of smile and then walked over to Ace. Ace pulled him into a hug, they both wept into each other's shoulders and clung onto each other.

I didn't take another look at them over my shoulder.

++++

I was helping Madeline pass out first aid kits, food, and water bottles to the civilians. Madeline and Kai had told everyone to gather in the castle's courtyard while the fight went on. I had told her what happened, she went completely silent for a bit.

I did too. Although the King was dead, everything just turned upside down. Without the Queen to guide Ace and Kai...

I shook my head to clear the thoughts. I shouldn't be thinking about this right now, we can all have a discussion once everyone was safe and everything had been cleared up.

Luna and Asher were entertaining the children, whilst Addilyn, Elijah, Davina, and Harrison were helping me and Madeline with the supplies.

The medical staff had rushed outside and made a makeshift hospital for the injured. Luckily, nobody was found dead or died due to injuries. Everyone made it out safely, and the last of the loyal guards were now searching the castle for anyone who had gotten lost during the escape.

I was passing out a couple packets of food to some children when a voice interrupted everyone.

Everyone stilled and looked up to the stage, all cringing away or taking deep breaths.

I looked up to see Ace and Kai standing on the same stage the King stood on when he watched those prisoners get executed.

Ace had a microphone in his hand, Kai stood a step behind him with his hands in his pockets.

"Uh...Afternoon everybody. I just wanted to come up here and apologise for the events of this morning, but trust me, it was all for a good cause."

A small smile found it's way onto my lips.

He locked eyes with me, I nodded, and he continued, "The King and Queen are dead."

Gasps, clamours, yelling.

"I know it's a big shock to everyone but please everything will be alright I promise. Please calm down-"

Let's not forget, half these citizens were rich folk. They probably thought all their privileges would be revoked if Ace took the crown.

I couldn't take it. I looked back at my team who all had stern expression on their faces. Their eyes watched the crowd as people stood up and started yelling absurd things at the two Princes on the stage.

"Come on." I yelled at them. They all obeyed and followed me onto the stage. Ace looked at me with apologetic eyes, I pecked him on the cheek and took the microphone from his hands.

"Listen up!" I shouted into the microphone.

They all shut up after realising who I was. Earlier, Addilyn had helped me wash all the brown gunk out of my hair, it stained but most of it was gone.

"We didn't just risk our lives for you lot to yell at us! We did the Elisora a favour. We killed the corrupt leader who was going to let this city crumble underneath it's own rules and laws."

Ace stood next to me; his fingers laced with mine.

"You are all fools. Have you ever stopped to think about what others go through because of this god damn test? Have you ever stopped to think about how others don't have all the luxuries you have? Have you ever stopped to think about how unfair this city is? No, you haven't because you've never showed an ounce of sympathy for others. So please, let Ace finish."

I passed the microphone over to Ace. He smiled and cleared his throat.

"Thank you, Victoria. So, since there is no official document on who is crown prince and since Kai is younger, I will be taking the role of King of Elisora. The test has been abolished. More laws will be gone in a few months as well. We will try our hardest to help the slums recover, and please, show some sympathy and help out. You have had everything; they have had nothing." He paused, then added, "I swear I will be nothing like my Father. Elisora will be what it should be. A city where nothing is feared."

He sounded like a real King.

Slow claps filled the courtyard. People stared up at him in awe. I squeezed his hand when the claps started becoming louder and faster.

And then, they bowed. They all lowered their heads, arms either spread out beside them or held behind their back.

My knees threatened to buckle.