Chapter Twenty Four - Don't play dumb.

I had fallen asleep on Victoria's bed

I had fallen asleep on Victoria's bed. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. A couple rays of sunlight were peeking through the curtains. Victoria lay next to me, sound asleep. The ice pack I had brought for her was melted on her bed side table. Her bruises looked terrible, and I thought the least I could do was try and numb the pain.

I looked over at her again and god, she looked miserable. She didn't act like it, but I could sense how exhausted she was.

It was torture.

I slowly got out of her bed and walked over to her bathroom. I washed my face and begun the hunt for an unopened toothbrush package. I eventually found one that had been left by the staff and ripped open the package. I brushed my teeth and placed the toothbrush in a drawer. I was probably never going to use that again.

I walked out and saw Victoria moving in her bed. Her eyes were squeezed shut and she was muttering 'No' over and over again. I realised she was having a nightmare, but what if it was about me? What if she saw me and that made her even more frightened?

Dammnit Ace. Just do something!

I jogged over to her side of the bed and lightly shook her shoulders. She jolted upright, gasping for breath. She placed a hand on her chest and looked around frantically, as if she was searching for something. Her hair was stuck to her forehead and her shirt was drenched in sweat.

"It's okay, you're alright Toria. It was just a nightmare."

She looked at me and her expression softened.

So, it wasn't about me? Thank. God.

"Sorry. I'm sorry – I've been having these nightmares a lot. I just... I just need some space for a little while," She took a small deep breath and added, "Just to pull myself together."

I nodded and brought my hands back to my sides. I didn't say anything as I walked out of her room and made my way to the kitchen.

++++

Elijah and I were talking about the castle's layout when Victoria strode in. She had changed into a new pair of clothes and the colour had returned to her skin.

"Morning everyone." She said as she plopped down next to Davina who was eating breakfast on the sofa and started chatting about her wound.

"Listen, I should probably head back to the castle. Call me if anything happens."

"Will do, see ya Ace." He clapped me on the back and started toward the fridge.

I waved goodbye to Davina and gave a stiff nod to Victoria. She gave me a tight smile before looking away and focusing on something else.

I walked out of their apartment and made my way toward the elevator bay.

++++