Chapter Twenty Two - Voices

I clenched my fist as I continued to run down the streets, I pulled my hood over my head and picked up the pace

What did I do? I couldn't believe that I didn't even realise Davina was standing at the door. I thought it was Silas, I saw Silas. He was knocking on my door; I could've sworn I had seen Silas...

No, it was Davina you lunatic.

I hit my forehead before continuing. I didn't know where I was at this point, I think I was in the slums, but I wasn't entirely sure. The landscape had changed from towering skyscrapers, to crumpling wooden structures with dim lighting. The air had also changed, I found myself coughing every now and then because of cigarette smoke or some other revolting odour. The slums were contaminated, the Royals had no idea that this was going on, they didn't even bother to help them out. People were dying at a rapid pace, and it wasn't getting any better.

I had passed several beggars, they all grabbed my shoes and started sobbing, Unfortunately, I didn't have any change, so I mumbled a quick apology and booked it out of there. I couldn't afford to get into a fight with someone here, but my fists clenched every time I saw a group of old men cat calling me. They were practically asking for a fight, but I brushed it off and continued to run.

I didn't know how long I had been running for now, my legs ached but I barely noticed anymore. Thoughts were zooming around my head. 

How could you shoot Davina? 

You're the epitome of a failure.

Coward.

You buffoon. 

It was getting overwhelming; I had begun to hallucinate once again. I had seen my mother and father's ghostly figures staring at me as I ran. They were still drenched in blood, but the only horrifying part was that they were both crying blood or black liquid. It dripped down their faces and fell onto the floor. I almost shrieked every time I saw them, but I composed myself and ran faster.

These hallucinations came every time I thought of them for too long. It was my fault they were dead, it had always been my fault and their horrifying ghosts always crept back into my thoughts. It had first started when I was young, I used to sit in the corner of my bedroom and shove my head into my knees. I sobbed quietly, every time I looked up, I saw them standing over me and the blood dripped onto my knees. Of course it wasn't real blood, but it looked real, it felt so real

The cold air kissed my cheeks, I looked up and saw dark grey clouds closing in around me. A distant thunder sounded every now and then, I realised it was going to storm. I had run in a straight line to god knows where, so it wouldn't be difficult to find the High-Rise apartments once again.

I pivoted and ran in the direction I had come from. I had been running for about twenty minutes when a group of men stopped me. There was four of them, all hunky and muscly. A couple of them were snickering at me as their eyes roamed my body.