Chapter Twelve - Numb

I woke up to pots being hit together

I woke up to pots being hit together. I groaned as I sat up, the room light was blinding me. I blinked a couple of times before my eyes finally adjusted to the light. Asher and Luna were dancing around my room banging pots together.

"Wake up Victoria!" They said in unison.

"I'm awake love birds, where's everyone else?"

Asher and Luna looked at each other bewildered by my comment. They both scooted away from each other before looking back at me.

"They are all eating breakfast in the cafeteria. Asher and I thought we'd come and escort you there." She said as a smile crept across her face.

"Thanks guys."

I slowly got up from my bed and stretched. Asher and Luna had walked out, I could hear the faint sound of a television. I walked over to my bathroom and grabbed a hair tie. I brushed my hair and put it up into a high ponytail. I brushed my teeth and washed my face.

I walked back into my room and grabbed the clothing Vera had set out for me last night from the closet. I threw the black jeans and tight shirt on before going back to the closet and rummaging through it. I had stored all my weapons, waistband, and leather gloves in my closet. I grabbed a couple of undergarments and other clothing I needed as well.

Once I had found everything, I laid them out on my bed and stared at them blankly. Each one was filled with hideous memories. I wanted to grab everything and throw it into my bathtub, making sure to scrub them vigorously. A knock interrupted my thoughts.

"Victoria? We really need to head out. Aaron's going to be pissed if we don't get there by 9, it's currently 8:30." Luna said calmly.

"Coming! Wait for me at the door!"

Luna's steps receded and I turned back to my bed. I grabbed my duffel bag and neatly packed everything in. I folded my clothes and placed them on top of all my weapons. I zipped up the bag and said a final goodbye to my room before walking out and meeting Asher and Luna by the door.

"Hey! Stop that! Asher, you already ate!" Luna was hitting Asher whilst Asher was trying to take a bite out of the chocolate croissant he was holding. They heard my footsteps and whipped their heads in my direction. They quickly straightened up and pretended as if nothing had happened.

"You can eat the croissant Asher; I wasn't hungry anyway." I muttered as I slid on my boots. I looked at myself in a floor length mirror stationed in the foyer before finally walking out the door along with Luna and Asher.

I was well ahead of them; they were behind me fighting over the last piece of croissant. My thoughts were still muddled up, but all I knew was the numbness I had felt when my parents died had come back.

+ + + +

Vera was waiting for us in front of the big glass doors. Her lips were pulled onto a tight line as she looked me up and down. I knew I had stressed her out yet again, I hated being a part of her many problems. She was up pacing all night when I came back from the café, I passed her room. She was curled up next to Luke, he was gently rubbing her back whispering calming words into her ears. I guess she always thought she could be that parent figure I had lost so long ago, but when something didn't go as expected with me, she took it out on herself. It was heart-breaking and I didn't know how to fix it. As I got closer to Vera, I plastered a smile onto my face. As big and as bright as possible. I shut down the numbness and sadness.