Chapter Twenty Six - Where are you?

"Ace?"

"Ace?"

I was sitting at my desk when I heard my name. It sounded like it was coming from outside my room, so I put the papers I was studying and made my way toward the door.

"Kai? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be looking for suits?"

"Shouldn't you be with Victoria?" He put his hands on his hips and titled his head giving me a mischievous smile. 

"Victoria messaged me and told me they wouldn't be back until around eleven, so I've got some free time. What's wrong?"

"Oh, okay. It's nothing, I was just thinking of telling mum."

"About what?" I ushered him inside and shut the door behind me.

"About, you know..."

My eyes widened.

"I mean, she obviously seems to be on our side of things."

It did seem like it. If she had a problem with our rebellion, she would've told our father, who probably would've killed us by now. I guess she just doesn't want conflict, and that there could be a way to solve this without it.

"Hm, I mean if you're comfortable with it." I shrugged and walked back to my desk.

"That's it? I thought you were going to lecture me or something."

"Why would I? Your completely right, mum does seem to have a problem with the mission, not the rebelling. If she had a problem with the rebellion, she would've had us killed by now. I mean, can't you see? She didn't have a problem with us killing dad, she had a problem because we were risking our lives for it. I think you should go for it."

He nodded and stood up. "Alright then, will you come with me? I don't really want to be alone when I do this..."

"Of course, let me just go change into some more presentable clothing."

He laughed as he made his way to the door.

++++

"Ready?"

Kai gave a stiff nod and knocked on the door.

My mother opened it. Her eyes widened. She pulled the both of us inside.

"Did you change your mind? Does Kai know about this?"

"Mum, calm down. No, I haven't changed my mind and yes, Kai does know about this. He also has something to tell you."

She looked at Kai and I walked toward the back of the room. I didn't want to interfere.

"Well... what I'm about to say is something I've been keeping a secret for a while now..."

She nodded and grabbed his hands. He looked down at their intertwined hands and then looked back up at him.

"Um... I'm... I'm gay."