27

MALENAS POV

Scott rounds on me and looks back to Void. "Kira-" He chokes and makes a run for the door but Void holds up a finger to stop him. Scott pauses momentarily to stare at Void but shoves him out of the way and runs out the door.

I look at Void, eyebrow raised, "please tell me you didn't kill anyone."

Void snickers as he sits down next to me on the hospital bed and his eyes search my face. "I didn't cause a mass massacre if that's what you're worried about." He says still smiling slightly. 

I look at him and study his features and facial expressions, "What are you here for?" I asked realizing that he was supposed to be at the high school, well his letter had said he would be anyways. 

Void sighs and fakes a yawn, "I was waiting for you, actually. Also, I wanted to see how Scott would react. If he'd believe you or not." 

I nod slowly, "did you hear...everything?" I asked quietly. 

Void laughs, "yes I did hear you get into an argument with Lydia. I heard that whole conversation, as a matter of fact." He looks at me with amusement and I blush fiercely as I look down. 

I don't even know why I'm embarrassed, which is the stupid thing. "What do you want?" I ask uttered quietly. 

Void's smirk drops, "I know I came to visit you in your dreams already, but how are you? Without lying." He asks concerned.

"I'm good," I say forcing a smile as I look away. 

Void grabs my chin gently so I'm forced to look him in the eye and I freeze.

"You cannot lie to me beautiful, I know you too well." He breathes quietly his eyes never wavering from my own. 

I let out a breath I was holding, "you don't know me at all." I whisper back. 

"I know you better than you think," Void says moving his hand so he's cradling my face. He proceeds to wipe his thumb over my cheek and then pulls back from me to stay in a sitting position. 

Melissa bursts into the room almost immediately after Void is sitting back away from me, "Malena! Are you okay? Your heartbeat monitor is going off like crazy-" then she sees Void and stops talking. 

Void smirks at her, "I think that's my queue to take my leave." He winks at me and disappears. 

And when I say disappear I mean that. One second he was sitting on my bed the next there was an empty space where he was before. 

Almost as soon as he disappears into thin air Scott enters the room and is frantically looking around for me and his mom. 

"Oh thank god," Scott says running to his mum as he wraps her in a hug. He turns to me and gives me an absentminded hug. "Where did he go?" He asks fiercely. 

"Gone," I say, and my voice must sound wistful because Melissa raises an eyebrow at me. "But Scott, do you believe me? About the powers?" I tried asking him, he has his face turned away from me so I couldn't see his reaction to my question but Melissa slaps him on the shoulder so it must've been pretty bad.

Scott sighed as he turned around and looks me in the eye sceptically. "I don't know Malena. Can you prove it?" He asked exasperatedly. 

"Well-I erm haven't tried," I admit tiredly. Scott sighs and crosses his arms over his chest and raises an eyebrow expectantly. 

"Well?" He asks. "Feeling majestic?" Scott says sarcastically. 

"I see someone's been spending too much time with Stiles," I murmur. I grit my teeth and try to concentrate on drawing energy to my power. I still wasn't sure how I was supposed to activate my Banshee powers, but maybe they worked differently from my witch ones, if I even had them. My eyebrows furrow as I try to concentrate. I flounder in my mind for some sort of power but come back empty-handed. I sigh as I press my hands against my head. It made me so fucking infuriated I wanted to scream. The power was just out of reach, but I didn't know how to reach it. 

I look up at Scott who shakes his head as he goes to leave the room. "Maybe Lydia was right Malena," Scott says quietly. 

I watch him leave the room as I flop back on my pillow exhausted. Melissa steps forward and offers me a timid smile. "I'm sorry Malena, he's under a bit of pressure at the moment." 

"Aren't we all," I murmur wistfully. 

——

Melissa said I was able to go home about an hour or two after she did a whole bunch of routine checks, monitoring my levels and other hospital stuff that I'm sure I would've understood if I was actually paying attention. 

All I could think of was how my parents had been gone less than a month and I had nearly died twice, which is twice more than previous years and now I was going to have to explain this to them in a letter that would reach them a week or so from now. Melissa told me that I could just wait around the hospital till she finished her shift and she would take me home and I agreed. 

I sat in one of the empty waiting rooms and tried to reach into whatever part of my soul the power was stored in. It didn't work very well, at all. And I ended up almost crying in exhaustion. And over exhaustion probably wasn't a good thing when I was still in recovery from an overdose.

Malia ended up coming to find me a while later because she didn't know anyone else that well and we sat together on the couch and watched Spider-Man followed by The Amazing Spider-Man, and by the end of it, we were having an argument over who was hotter, Andrew Garfield or Tobey Maguire. 

"Andrew Garfield is way hotter! Come on, he literally looks like a freaking god Malia. Tobey looks like a creep." I exclaimed as the movie credits began to roll.

"Nuh-uh, Tobey all the way. He is way hotter. Plus he pulled MJ who is also hot. Andrew only pulled Gwen, so..." Malia says trailing off as though Gwen was a downgrade from MJ. 

I sit up from my spot and gasp as I turn to her. "You did not just insult Emma Stone like that! MJ only liked Peter because she knew he was Spider-Man, Gwen fell in love with him before that!" I stammered. 

Malia rolls her eyes and throws a peanut at me, which bounces off my forehead. "You're wrong, I was a freaking coyote for like 8 years okay? So my taste is way better than yours."

I scoff as I throw the peanut back at her but she catches it in her mouth. "That is not the way to win every argument, get better at arguing, then we can revisit this conversation." I acclaimed. 

Malia stretches on the couch behind me as I get up to change the movie. "What do you want to watch now-" I start but I'm cut off by a pillow to my head. I turn around and Malia is still on the couch but is pretending to be otherwise interested in what's going on outside the window. 

"Oh it's on," I said grinning as I run at her with the pillow she threw at me in hand and start attacking her. She let out a yelp of surprise but armed herself with pillows in mere seconds and was hitting me back. 

We go on dodging and throwing pillows for several minutes before we flop back onto the couch dying of laughter. 

I turn to her. "I don't think I've laughed so hard in my life," I say still giggling. 

"Me either," Malia says smiling.  

————

I absolutely adore malia and malenas friendship. Also, I will never miss an opportunity to rant about Andrew, Emma or tasm <3 

wow, 5.2k reads??? thank you all so so much! I think my friends and family are getting tired of me updating them on how many reads i have but i love all of you so so much! 

thoughts on this chapter? ————>