47

MALENAS POV

"Malena, you have to pay attention." Mr Argent's voice says breaking my trance. I start as I look at him and he shakes his head. "Scott. Scott!" He says trying to get my best friend's attention. 

Scott turns to him with a distant look on his face. 

"You both have to remember, Scott called me fist okay?" He asks and when we don't respond he sighs. "Say it. You called me first."

"Scott called you first," I murmur looking away. 

"Not "you." Say "Mr Argent," or "her dad." Mr Arent says looking at Scott and I feel tears well up in my eyes. 

 "I called her dad first..." Scott says trailing off.

"What else? What happened?" Mr Argent demands as he looks at us both. 

"There were two of them," I say my voice breaking. 

Mr Argent nods. "Mmhmm."

I let out a breath I didn't realise I was holding. " "They tried to steal our car... They wore masks... One of them had a knife..."

"You think. Don't get specific, you saw something sharp and metallic, you think it was a knife." Mr Argent says and he looks at Scott who's looking away. "What do you say next? If you get confused, what do you always repeat?"

"It all happened so fast," I whisper and I feel a tear roll down my face as I realise it is the truth. it happened way too fast.

"That's right. Say it again." Mr Argent looks at Scott. "Scott! Say it!"

I shake my head as I look at him. "How are you doing this?" I ask exhausted. 

"It's what we do." Mr Argent says and a look of defeat crosses his face as he turns away from us both. "It's what we do..."

— — 

"Can you remember anything else?" Parrish asks as we're being questioned at the station. 

I avert his eyes as beside me Isaac reaches for my hand and squeezes it gently. I feel a silent tear roll down my face and I let it fall. 

"Malena?" Parrish asks. I look up at him and another tear falls from my eyes. 

"I'm sorry. It just happened so fast." I whisper and I feel a sob building up in my throat. 

Beside me, Noah rubs a hand on my back. "You two can go home now." He says gently, and somewhere in my head, I find a way to stand up and wait for Isaac, our hands staying intertwined. 

When we walk out of the room Isaac turns to me and wraps me in a hug. I wrap my arms around his neck as I bury my face into his shirt. "She's really gone," I murmur and Isaac runs a hand through my hair. 

"I know, my love." He whispers as he plants a kiss on the top of my head. "Come on, I'll take you home."

— — 

STILES POV

I run a hand over my arm absentmindedly as the cold begins to set in. I'm sitting next to Kira and her mother when she nudges a cup towards me. 

"Here. It'll calm you." She says softly and I look down at the cup.

"What is it?" I asked eyeing the cup suspiciously.

"Tea." She responds lightly. 

"What like magic tea?" I ask sarcastically. 

"No. Chamollie tea, drink it." Kira's mom responds with a small smile.