Genderfuild Reid

(I'm not super familiar with the genderfluid community, so I'm sorry if I got some things wrong :/)
❤️

Spencer Reid, even at a young age, was very expressive. He did the things he wanted to do, and said the things he wanted to say.
As early as ten, he began to experiment with his gender presentation. He didn't want to touch down into identity until he was certain of the things he was comfortable with.
In the 1990's is wasn't widely accepted or very common to see young boys in feminine colors and styles. Luckily his mother was one of his biggest supporters. Reid didn't think his mother had the right idea though.
She would always say that he was special, and that his mind was amazing, and he'd grow up to do amazing things. So when she began to notice he dressed different from other boys his age, or asked for different clothes at the store, she'd just say it as another quirk of his. Something that made him special. Which isn't a bad thing to say, but to Reid it wasn't something that made him special, it was who he was and wanted to be. Saying that this was just part of who he was, was incorrect. It was him, not just a part, not something that was recently pick up and adapted, but who he was.

Through high school, of course he was bullied. The way he dressed was different from the other boys, and everyone was older than him, and stronger, and bigger, but definitely not smarter.
Reid wasn't going to let some teasing and harassment stop him from expressing himself.

The only thing he got out of high school was his GED and a new view of himself. Other than his gender presentation, he started to dabble in his identity. He didn't mind pronouns at all. He liked the he/him ones, but that discouraged him. It made him feel as if his presentation was for nothing. He thought his pronouns had to match up with how he dressed, and that made him lean away from his masculinity.
He then fell into a paradox were he would dress femininely for a few days and then want to wear something masculine, but he thought he couldn't because he was identifying as a girl. He thought his choices would loose credibility if he swayed to the other side.

Battling through this cycle of confusion and lostness, he finally decided to live his life for himself. No stereotypes, and no insecurity. If he felt like dressing up in pink and wearing his hair in braids, then he would. And if the next day he wanted to wear dress pants and a vest, then he'd do that too.

He finally felt completely comfortable in his own skin for the first time in seven years. Now being 19, he wanted to pursue his career into profiling. He was a genius, and was confident he'd make a good fit in the field of FBI profiling and investigation.

Making his way through the academy, he caught the eye of a BAU profiler named Jason Gideon, which couldn't be a more perfect opportunity for Reid.

When he graduated he was immediately recruited by Gideon to join the BAU, which he gladly accepted. Gideon was aware of Reid's genderfuildness in presentation, and didn't question it, as he didn't want to discuss something he knew nothing of. If it worked for Reid then he didn't need to know how it worked.

Reid's first day at the BAU felt like a masculine day, so Reid gladly walking into the building with grey dress pants, suitable for the workplace, a light blue button up with a slightly darker colored tie, and a black sweater vests that kept his tie snug and in place.

The other profilers that were already in the BAU were welcoming. Reid especially liked Garcia. Her sense of fashion and expression was envious.

Reid's first day was quiet and really only used for adjustment and remembering names, though with Reid's memory the names wouldn't a problem.

The next day was an experiment. Reid wanted to know how his new collages, and hopefully eventually friends, would react to him wearing more feminine clothing.
What Reid wants to wear fluctuates depending on the day and his mood. One day he'll wear jeans and a button up, and another he'll be in a purple top with frilled sleeve and a white skirt, with flower clips in his hair. But that isn't to say that he doesn't have neutral days. When he feels a mix of both he could end up wearing a pink button up with black dress pants and a tan knitted sweater vests.
Today though, Reid felt very feminine.
He decided on a common outfit for sudden fem days, of which was a white skirt that went to right above his knees, brown ankle boots with a slight heel, a pale yellow crop-top that showed no skin because of the high waist of the skirt, and finally a trench coat similar to the color of his boots.

He entered the bullpen area of his work place, not really minding the eyes on him. He'd heard it all, and dealt with it all. He was honestly over the teasing and prejudice, and learned to ignore it.

He sat down at his new desk, nodding a hello to Gideon as he walked by.
The first person to see him and mention his attire to him was his fellow BAU member Elle Greenaway.

She seemed tense at first, Reid immediately noticing it as a worry of saying something wrong. He could tell she wasn't against him in anyway, but she was scared to offend him.
She eventually spoke though.

"I could never pull something like that off." She chuckled pathetically.

Reid smiled, "Nonsense." He chuckled, much more confident than Elle. "You wear clothes, they don't wear you."

"Not that it isn't beautiful..." Elle began. Reid could sense the questionnaire coming on. "But this is a little different from yesterday. Do you have certain pronouns when dressed like this?" Elle questioned her own words, unsure if the vocabulary she was using was accurate or not.

Reid smiled softly, admiring the effort she was putting forward.

"Nope." He said simply, "It's still just he/him and Spencer. My presentation may be different but I'm not."

Elle felt a weight lift from her shoulders. Her chuckle was much more lively than before, and she seemed more happy than worried now.

The other members reactions were much of which Reid expected; shocked and ignorant but accepting.

JJ's was almost identical to Elle's.

Garcia was very calm and didn't even bring it up when she saw Reid. Something he actually appreciated.

Morgan was the most confused, and was slightly insensitive, but wasn't necessarily homophobic or rude. His questions were overly vague yet had a hint of genuine curiosity in them:
"Are you ok?"
"Aren't you a guy?"
"Did someone force you into wearing that?"

A quick conversation cleared things up, but when Morgan walked away, Reid wasn't convinced he retained any of the words he said.

Reid was actually a little anxious to see his bosses reaction. He was usually confident and didn't care if someone thought he was weird, but this was his supervisor. He kind of wanted him to like him, or at least not hate him.

Their first crossing was awkward as no words were exchanged, and Hotch just stood there looking Reid up and down for a moment. He raised an eyebrow in question, but his other quickly went up too in realization.
"You'll have to wear more tactical clothing when you go into the field." Hotch said, walking passed Reid before he could reply.

He was monotone and deadpan, but Reid still found reassurance in it. Hotch was implying that he didn't care what he wore to work as long as it didn't interfere with field work and unsub detainments.

Reid already liked it here. Being himself was the only obstacle he's ever had to deal with, and it should've been the only one he shouldn't have had to worry about.
Fortunately, he didn't have to worry about it anymore.