Echopraxia

(I am aware that Echopraxia actually presents in a different light: eg Catatonic Schizophrenia, and its symptoms are more subtle than the way I depicted them. I simply adapted the condition to better fit a story.)
❤️

Echolalia is the repetition of words or phrases, or the imitation of other peoples speech. This is most commonly seen in neurodivergent individuales who use Echolalia in replacement of or in assistance to speaking.
Echopraxia is a bit different. It has the same prefix, meaning reflection, but it doesn't refer to speech or sound. The title is designated for a certain type of disorder, or set of tics, that are of the imitation category. Echopraxia is the involuntary copying of movements from other people.
For example, you could see someone fidget, like tap their fingers, or you could see someone cross their arms while talking, and you'd have to copy their movements. It could draw out until the imitated person stopped moving, or only for a few seconds. The mental need or use of Echopraxia is generally unknown, but it's believed to help neurodivergent people adapt more comfortably to places and situations, as they think imitating these movements are helping them blend and fit into their surroundings.

Whatever the use or need to carry out these imitations, Spencer Reid seemed to find them incredibly annoying. He had an internal battle between standing out and fitting in. He dressed a bit unordinary on purpose—to stand himself apart from others—but his subconscious didn't like that. His brain had a default function and desire to blend in and match other people.
Despite his annoyance and dislike of his disorder, he hardly noticed it. It was when it was obvious and interfering; that was when he cursed himself for being the way he was.

On a case in Tucson, Arizona, Reid was having some persisting issues. It was hot, which made him sweaty and uncomfortable. This prompted a lot more overstimulation and need for adjustment than normal. Which then triggered his mind to strive for some form of likeness or normality.

He couldn't even do what he wanted with his own body while they stood at the most recent crime scene. He would follow Morgan's movements, then move to Emily's, and occasionally switch to Rossi's.
Morgan stood very straight, and routinely crossed his arms; something that was a sensitive trigger for Reid. Whether it was for as long as the other person did it, or until he could notice himself, Reid always had to cross his arms when he saw someone else do so.
Emily was fanning herself with her hands for a few seconds, obviously bothered by the heat just as Reid was. His brain immediately imitated that for some reason, though it didn't really help with the heat at all.

This copied movement was much more obvious. Crossing your arms is a normal bodily behavior, and doesn't need a specific reason to happen, but fanning your face with your right hand at the same speed and time as someone across from you is a bit more noticeable.

So when Reid began to do this, the others were concerned. They knew about his Echopraxia and his general triggers, so he must be uncomfortable for him to do something so pronounced.

Once Reid noticed the eyes on him, he used his other hand to cancel the fanning of his other. He kept his hands together in front of his legs to stop them from imitating anything.
The others said nothing about it, as Reid could handle himself. If he wanted to mask and suppress his mimicry then he could do that if he wanted.

The group returned to the police station after studying the victims body. Morgan sat down in the conference room they were borrowing, and put his legs up on the table. Reid imitated the movement once he sat down, which was not far after Morgan. This was a very distinct sign to how severe Reid was in need to get comfortable. Putting his feet anywhere but the ground, or in his own chair; crisscross, was unheard of. He had a thing about germs and cleanliness, and he always said his shoes were extremely dirty from walking in different places, so they couldn't touch anything but the floor.