And So It Begins

June 22, 2010

June 22, 2010.

Mystic Falls.

High School.

“Fellow graduates… this day has been a long time coming.”

Cherith spoke into the mic as she stared at the faces of her fellow graduates while families and friends sat in the stands.

A sunny and bright day. A day worthy of celebration, as she spotted her remaining family smile at her from where they sat.

Jenna, Jeremy, Elena.

And then Caroline and Bonnie.

It had been a few weeks since she’d come back from New York, and experiences have made a lot of changes to her decisions.

The most important one… going to college or not.

She’d spent a long time playing with the idea. Would she be disappointing both pair of parents if she decided to skip college this year?

Still though… this was her decision. She was still 16. Had a long life ahead of her… hopefully.

And she wasn’t so sure they wouldn’t support her anyways… not when her life depended on this.

Oxford could wait another year.

Her life was at stake… literally.

And so, on this day of her graduation, looking into the eyes of her fellow school mates… she thought she could at least BE happy. Happy to do what she’d looked forward to doing for a long time now.

Graduate from High School and leave this forsaken town… forever.

“Not just for me… for the school, my family and friends. We came here, not only to get a fine education… but, because it was the only High School in town, literally.”

She smiled wryly as people chuckled in amusement and some graduates shouted their approval.

“While it went with a lot of drama, it’s safe to say… we made it. We lost some of our mates along the way…”

A certain boy came to mind.

“We’ve grieved, for family and friends…”

Her parents and uncle came to mind.

“But… we’re still here. We’ve been asked, what are we going to do now? What’s the plan? Go to college and get some degree? I think it’s more than that.”

Cherith stared at everyone, even as the occasional flash of a camera tried to blind her.

“I think we’re about to face the next challenge in our lives. It’s not just college. It’s… survival. We’re moving forward. Is it going to college? Is it starting a job? Moving across the country? Fighting for our right to live how we want? Falling in love?”