ten

"I heard you got sick."

I look at Fay as she was walking towards me, her eyebrow raised. I end up nodding to that since it was true.

"Yeah, I did. I'm fine now though, so don't worry," I insist, knowing that it's been some time since I've seen Worth. Not too long, but I was off for a week.

So for a whole week...I didn't see him. That's the longest it's been since I've started working here.

"I know this is random and me being on your side is weird since I am sided at the female pods, but I needed to tell you this." She starts, coming a little closer to me. "It's about what Chief and Worth were talking about. They were talking about you and...I don't know what you and Worth have going on now; but you need to be careful."

I frown, confused because it wasn't even known that him and I really did anything. All we did was kiss...but that's not really much of anything anyway. Word does spread fast amongst the corrupted.

"Careful of what?"

"Of Worth. Chief asked him why he cares for you so much and why you're so close. Worth said he doesn't like you like that at all and is enacting revenge against you for trying to treat him like a bitch and use people. That he wanted to show you that you're no different from everyone else here...and he was using you." Fay just tells me all of this.

I...honestly didn't believe her because Worth hates the Chief. Why would he just spill all of that out.

"What day was this?"

"The day you collapsed." She states, and that didn't...really help because I remember when he chased after the Chief. Because of me trying to follow so abruptly, I passed out. "He was saying that you two kissed in the rain and so what to the Chief, mocking him I believe. Then the Chief asked where did you two go the day you guys left and he said McDonald's, and that was it. I promise I'm not lying."

I look away now because...she said something things that only him and I would know. Worth doesn't even know Fay so she could've only heard this if she was...

Eavesdropping.

"Okay...thank you. I'm actually about to go see him now, so..." I smile awkwardly, and she nods as she steps back fast.

"Okay, good. You can ask him then, and you can gladly use my name. It doesn't matter to me if he knows I snitched or not. That's what I'm paid for, to do what's right. Even if it's snitching." She shrugs casually, smiling at me. "I'll go, see you later and I hope it works out."

I nod, and we both walked away from one another at the same time.

I was...contemplating.

I apologized to Worth though and we moved on from that. Except she did make key points that only we would know...and she wouldn't know unless he was talking about it.

When I get to the door of where Worth said he'd be, I go inside quickly. I faced the door fast as I closed it quietly, kind of feeling odd.

I could feel his presence behind me...and I was oddly comforted despite what I just learned. I wanted to have faith in him...I won't believe instantly because not everyone in here is a bad person.

I've come to learn that.

Turning around to face him now, I let my vision focus in the dark.

I stood in the room with Worth, looking up at him as he looked down at me. The lights weren't on so that it didn't alert that someone was in here. Except there didn't need to be one...I could see him very clearly without the light.